13. Children of the Damned

Damon's POV

I barged into Stefan's room, honestly not thinking of the implications of what I might find, and so when I walked in on them in bed together, I had to do my best to keep my honest reaction to myself. In truth, I felt a surge of jealousy I had not experienced since 1864, and I swallowed hard to keep the hurt to myself, and forced my typical smirk onto my face. 

"Rise and shine, sleepyheads!" I announce, strolling right up to the foot of the bed and grinning as I see them both pulling the sheets up as far as they can without totally disappearing from view.

"Damon! Please!" Elena had gone bright red.

"What are you doing?!" Stefan glowered at me before looking down at his flustered girlfriend. A small part of me imagined that she was flustered at me seeing her like this, and enjoying it...

"Oh stop being smutty..." I teased, as Stefan tried to pull the covers further over Elena, much to my dismay. 

"Seriously, get out of here!" Ooh, little brother's getting tetchy.

"If I see something I haven't seen before, I'll throw a dollar at it. Now listen, we have some very important business to discuss." Elena's mouth dropped open before she regained her composure. 

"And it has to be right now?" she pouted.

"Well, we have lots to do, now that we're all friends and working toward a common goal..." I watched as the two of them exchanged wary looks. "So, in order to open the tomb, we need to find the journal to get the grimoire to undo the spells. First things first-since you are Elena Gilbert, you're on journal duty."

She frowned at me, "Since when am I helping?"

I looked at her as if it were obvious. "Well, Stefan's helping, and you've taken up residence in Stefan's bed, ergo..."

"You don't have to do anything that you don't want to do." I rolled my eyes. Typical Stefan...

"I'll look for it tonight," she said.

"Good." I smirked at Stefan, enjoying the fact that I was getting exactly what I wanted.

"How do we know that this journal will hold the location of the grimoire? We're really going to take the word of this vampire? He seemed like a bit of a dimwit." Stefan was referring to the vampire we'd killed at the school dance. He was trying so very hard to deny me of my wishes. 

"In lieu of any other options." I retorted, frowning at him. 

All of a sudden, Elena sat up and the sheets almost fell down, much to my enjoyment. I stared at her, feeling the familiar tugs of lust and desire. She caught the sheets before they revealed too much and sighed inwardly. My feelings for Elena were becoming stronger with each passing day. I couldn't help but wonder whether they were at all reciprocated...