|| XIV

Diego and Tessa sit down at the kitchen table together as Tessa finishes feeding Emmy some lunch.

"Hey," Tessa looks up at Diego. "Yeah?" Diego responds, meeting her gaze. "I love you," Tessa whispers, her words carrying warmth and sincerity.

Diego smiles and leans over the table to kiss her. "Are you scared?" Tessa asks him, her concern evident in her voice.

"I don't know how to feel..." Diego sighs, his expression conflicted.

"That's okay. Do you wanna dance or something?" Tessa suggests, trying to lift the mood.

"Dance?" Diego questions, surprised by the idea.

"Why not?" Tessa smiles and walks over to the record player, starting it to play "All Die Young" by Smith Westerns.

"Come on," Tessa picks up Emmy then grabs Diego's hand as he gets up. He holds onto her hand as Tessa does the same with her free hand, the other holding Emmy, creating a small, impromptu family dance in the kitchen.

As Diego and Tessa sway gently to the music, a sudden rumbling shakes the house, causing them to stop mid-dance.

"What was that?" Tessa asks, her voice tinged with concern as they exchange worried glances.

Diego furrows his brow, listening intently as the sound of what seems like rocks falling echoes through the walls.

"I don't know, but it doesn't sound good," he replies, his instincts on high alert as they both try to discern the source of the disturbance.

With Emmy held tightly in Tessa's arms, they cautiously move towards the nearest window, peering outside to investigate the cause of the unsettling noise.

As they peer out the window, scanning the surroundings for any sign of the disturbance, Tessa's eyes widen in realization.

"I don't see anything... Oh God... Wait, that was Vanya?" she gasps, the pieces of the puzzle falling into place in her mind.

Diego's expression shifts to one of concern as he processes Tessa's words. "Shit. Here. Pass her to me. I don't want you guys to get hurt," Diego says to Tessa.

Tessa doesn't hesitate, knowing Diego's protective instincts and trusting him implicitly. She swiftly passes Emmy into Diego's arms, her heart racing with a mixture of fear and determination to keep her family safe.

Diego holds Emmy close, his grip firm yet gentle as he shields her from any potential danger. With Emmy secure in his arms, Diego stands ready, his senses heightened as he prepares to face whatever threat may come their way.

As explosions rumble and glass shatters throughout the Academy, everyone exits their rooms, their faces etched with concern and confusion.

"Yo, what the hell is going on?" Diego yells, his voice barely audible over the chaos.

Klaus rushes out of his room, panic written all over his face. "Are those explosions coming f--"

"Vanya," Pogo finishes Klaus' question, his tone grave with realization. "We need to get to safety outside the Academy," he says, urgency lacing his words as the floors and walls continue to shake.

"Don't forget Mom!" Luther yells, his voice echoing down the corridor.

"Oh shit, Mom!" Tessa worries to Diego as they both break into a run to find her, with Klaus following closely behind. With each step, the urgency of their mission becomes increasingly apparent as they navigate the crumbling halls of the Academy in search of safety for themselves and their loved ones.