|| VIII

"What makes you so late?" Luther says, eyeing Diego and Tessa as they enter the Argyle Public Library, his voice tinged with impatience.

"We had to get gas," Diego says, followed by Tessa's explanation "Traffic". "Okay, well uh, let's split up," Luther says.

"Wow. Good thinking," Diego says blankly, earning a small slap on the chest from Tessa. Diego goes one way as Luther and Tessa do the same, walking to different directions.

Tessa paces down one of the book aisles, scanning everything trying to find her brother, Five.

Diego's voice whispers seductively into her ear, "You look sexy." causing her to gasp and turn around, gently pushing him away.

"You scared me," she laughs softly.

"Come here," he murmurs, cupping her face with his hands and leaning in for a kiss. Tessa responds with a tender kiss before pulling back.

"We should split up before Luther catches us," she suggests with a smile. "There's going to be something quite interesting tonight." Diego winks and walks away.

After a mere 7 minutes, they reconvene on the top floor. "Find anything?" Luther inquires, as Tessa and Diego glance down the stairs, shaking their heads in unison.

"No," they both reply flatly, leaving Luther to sigh in exasperation. "You wanna know why I left?" Diego prompts.

"Diego, don't start," Tessa interjects, attempting to forestall further confrontation.

"Don't worry, Tess," Diego reassures her. Luther approaches, his expression puzzled. "What? What are you talking about?" he asks.

"Why I left the academy," Diego explains, turning to Luther. "Yeah, 'cause you couldn't handle me being number one or Tessa being in love with someone else," Luther retorts.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa... Who said I was in love with someone else?" Tessa interjects, her tone incredulous.

"What? She was-she is, in love with me. And leave her out of this," Diego argues defensively.

"But no, Because that's what you do when you're 17. You move out, become your own person, grow up." Diego says.

"Oh, yeah." Luther says. "You're a real grown-up." Luther says. "At least he makes his own decisions," Tessa says quietly but loudly enough for Luther to hear.

"Yeah, you never had to hold down a job. Pay bills." Diego says. "You ever even been with a girl?" Diego asks, making Luther pause and start to think about what to fire back.

"I..." Luther starts, receiving a smile from Diego. "I don't know what you're talking about-" Luther says, when Diego starts to chuckle.

"Look, you wanna blame me, blame us for leaving... that's okay. But maybe you're asking yourself the wrong question. Maybe it's not about why we left. Maybe it's about why you stayed." Diego says.

Luther starts to walk closer to Diego, getting angry. "I stayed because the world needed me." Luther says.

"You stayed because you couldn't let go of the way things used to be. The academy, Dad, With Allison." Tessa speaks up, walking closer to Luther.

"Dad's dead. Mom too, now" Diego says, making Luther look down to the floor. "We're orphans, again." Tessa sighs.

"And things are never gonna go back to the way they used to... be." Diego says, walking backwards whilst facing Tessa and Luther.

"Do you guys ever stop talking?" Luther annoyingly asks. "Where are his parents?" the young adults overhear.

"Come on, Tess." Diego walks away, calling Lexie over.