Part 24

Wylan's POV:

Wylan was stood with Nina, who was happily chewing on a toffee, surveying the fake passports they would be needing for the job when he heard the thudding that guaranteed Kaz had returned.

The clunking of Kaz's cane was always followed by a scowl that seemed to cast a shadow across whatever room the boy entered.

 Wylan often forgot that the he was only a year older than him. He was no older than some of the boys he had met at his father's parties- dressed in tight collars and stiff shirts- but the power and authority Kaz had on those around him was something Wylan could not help but admire when he saw it in practice. 

It made him seem so much older than the seventeen year old boy he truly was. Especially now, with the bruises of their latest mission still very much present, though any healer could have removed them in an instant.

"The neshyenyer at Amhret Jen is definitely a fake." He said, handing Tolya and Zoya their passports.

Zoya turned to face him, her expression stony, "Which we told you, so perhaps you tell us something we didn't know?"

He scowled, walking over to Wylan, who on instinct drew away, not wanting to be on the receiving end of his newest mood. Something to do with Inej, thought Wylan was not privy to the details.

"According to my contacts, it's believed to have been stolen by a thief known as the Disciple. He had a penchant for stealing saint-related relics while on jobs."

"So he's a thief, and a collecter?" Wylan asked.

Kaz nodded, "and retired, but he has since put a few pieces of his presumed collection on the black market."

"So to get to him, we go to his fence." Tolya stated.

"Ovhal Saran." Kaz  looked around the group, " she has a tea shop in Bhez ju. To speak to her, we have to order yellow chrysanthemum tea, off-menu."

Nina said something then, in shu, that Wylan couldn't comprehend and Tolya eyes suddenly lit up. He grinned responding in something equally incomprehensible and Nina immediately strutted over. "Let's discuss. Tell me more." 

She laughed and the two disappeared from the room, just as Jesper and Inej came down the steps to the club. 

Suddenly, Kaz snatched one of the sheets from Wylan's hand, making him jump, as he stalked over to the pair. He gave the dark boy a cold stare.

 "I see you couldn't help yourself, Jes." 

Inej and Jesper shared a look before he took the document, sidling past Kaz who was now giving him a withering glare.

As he left, the  two continued a hushed conversation. Jesper threw back a drink and joined Wylan by the table.

———————————————————————————————

Wylan stood staring at the document, though the symbols swayed and blurred in his vision. It was a pointless attempt but a small part of him itched to try, even though he knew it was futile. He barely noticed Jesper slide beside him on the balcony, his brows furrowed as he checked his own sheet.

"How have I wronged him?"

 "Hmm?" He snapped his gaze away.

"The passport, he made me even older than the last time." He flapped the paper infront of him, gesturing vaguely as he complained.

"Well, technically you are older than the last time." 

This earned him a pointed look from Jesper, to which Wylan gave a weak smile before the boy gave another disdainful look at the sheet.

Jesper squinted at something written on the paper, "Saints, that's a terrible name."

Wylan felt his heart miss a beat ,his eyes darting around the room, as though someone might be listening to their conversation. 

He swallowed, trying to stifle the unease. It was only Jesper, he reminded himself. Just Jesper. 

"What does it say?"he asked.

"What, can't you read it?" 

Jesper's response was blunt. Immediate.

It hurt far more than Wylan had expected it to; as though the wind had been knocked right out of him.

Oh.

Suddenly, it felt like he was being swallowed by darkness. He was back home- the leer of his Father's voice in his ear, taunting, ridiculing. He breathed heavily, his head spinning, his panic spiking. 

Wylan was ridiculous, stupid. He shouldn't have asked and that reaction demonstrated perfectly why. He was a moron, just as his father had always told him.

And now Jesper had realised. The sudden panic of his face making it somehow worse. He huffed a nervous laugh, stumbling out words, thought Wylan barely registered them. 

"Um-uhh, can barely read it myself." He shrugged, trying to feign nonchalance but the knot in Wylan's throat only tightened. 

He grabbed his sheet, his voice barely a whisper,

 "I should pack." 

And with that, he left.

———————————————————

Author's note:

Look who's back from the dead actually writing the story they told everyone they would finish.