10

As we sat by the lake, enjoying the picnic that Ben and Alex had prepared, Mal and I found ourselves entertained by the boys' playful banter. Mal indulged in a jelly doughnut, devouring it quickly, while I discovered a chocolate cookie and took a bite.

"Is it that good?" Alex asked me, and I nodded with a mouthful of cookies. He chuckled at my enthusiastic response.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked him, still chewing.

"Okay, okay, say after you ate it," he teased, bringing his hand to my cheek and brushing it against my face. I stared at him for a moment, then smiled, looking down.

"Is this your first time?" Ben asked Mal with a laugh.

"Mm... We don't really date much on the Isle. It's more like... gang activity," Mal explained, licking the sugar off her fingers.

"I mean, is this your first time eating a jelly doughnut and chocolate cookies?" Ben clarified, and I smiled, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Is it bad?" Mal asked.

"You've got a..." Ben began but ended up brushing the sugar off her lips. "Gone?" Mal licked her lips.

"Can't take us anywhere, I guess," Mal shrugged.

"You know, we've done all the talking. You guys' turn," Alex told us.

"Tell us something," Ben said.

"But please, Y/n, don't repeat what you said," Alex added, indicating the joke I pulled in the forest.

"Okay, okay. I'm sixteen. I have a sibling. And I've only ever lived in one place," I said to Alex while Mal chatted with Ben.

"Looks like we have so much in common already!" Alex said, then realized what I said.

"You have a sibling?" Alex asked, drawing Ben and Mal's attention.

"Who is it?" Ben inquired as Mal and I looked at each other and pointed.

"We are half-siblings on our father's side," Mal explained as the boys went from confusion to shock.

"Wow," they both exclaimed before chuckling.

"this is an unexpected twist," the twins exclaimed as Mal and I stared at them.

"I should get used to this twin thing," I said to them as the three of us laughed.

"Who is your dad?" Ben asked, looking between Mal and me, making us stammer.

"Well, we don't like to talk about that," Mal said, creating an uneasy silence.

"And now you two are going to be kings," I said, directing the attention to the twin kings.

This made the brothers turn to each other before looking down.

"What?" I questioned.

"A crown doesn't make you a king," Alex responded.

Mal and I exchanged a look before nodding.

"Well, it kind of does," we laughed.

"Your mother is the Mistress of Evil," Ben smiled at Mal.

"And your mother is," Alex turned to me. "We've got the poster parents for goodness. But we're not automatically like them."

"We get to choose who we're going to be," Ben told us, looking specifically at Mal.

"And right now, when I look into your eyes, I can tell you're not evil."

"You may pretend, but deep inside, you know you are not evil," Alex softly smiled at me. I stared at him, making me contemplate my whole life. Yeah, I never wanted to be evil, but I wanted to be with my friends.