5

Mal pushed the door open, and Evie and I followed her into the room. The entire space was decked out in pink and white. While Evie appeared to be impressed with it, Mal and I, on the other hand, were less than thrilled.

"Wow. This place is so amaz-"

"Gross," Mal interjected, cutting off Evie.

"I know, right? Amazingly gross," Evie added, attempting to mask her genuine affection for the room.

"I'm going to need some serious sunscreen," I commented, flopping down onto one of the super-soft beds. Frankly, the room's aesthetics weren't a top priority for me; after all, we weren't supposed to stay there for long, right?

"E." Mal pointed to one of the windows, prompting Evie to close the curtains while Mal attended to the others.

"Whew! That is much better," Mal remarked once all the curtains were closed.

* * * 

After settling in, we decided to head over to the boys' room to discuss a plan to steal the wand.

Mal, Evie, and I eventually found their room and walked in without knocking. Carlos was immersed in a video game, and Jay was busy unloading the items he had looted earlier.

"Whoo! Whoa! Ah! Whoa!" Carlos screamed at his game.

"Jay, what are you doing?" Mal inquired.

"It's called stealing," Jay responded matter-of-factly, as if it were an obvious answer. However, Mal had a different question in mind.

"Okay, what's the point?" Mal asked again, examining an item she picked up from the bed. I took a seat on Carlos's bed, and Evie settled down next to me, focused on her makeup.

"Well, Mal, it's like buying whatever I want, except it's free."

"Okay. So, you could do that, or you could leave all of this here and pick it up when we take over the world." Mal suggested, as if it were the obvious choice.

"You sound just like your mother," I remarked, observing Carlos playing his game.

"Thank you," Mal responded with a smile.

"You do it your way, and I'll do it mine," Jay declared, walking away.

"Die, suckers! Jay, come check this thing out. Man, it's awesome," Carlos exclaimed, finally looking up from his game. Jay grabbed the controllers and joined in, taking over the game.

"Guys! Do I have to remind you what we're all here for?" Mal questioned.

"Fairy Godmother, blah, blah, blah. Magic wand, blah, blah, blah," Jay said, barely even looking up from the game.

"Guys, this is our one chance to prove ourselves to our parents," I emphasized, looking around at the four of them.

"To prove that we are evil and vicious and ruthless and cruel. Yeah?" Mal finished.

"Yeah," the rest of them responded. They all stopped what they were doing and joined Mal and me at the table.

"Evie, mirror me," Mal said, sitting down in one of the chairs.

"Mirror, mirror on the... in my hand, where is Fairy Godmother's wand... stand?" Evie asked the mirror. The mirror flashed to an image of the wand, but with no context as to where it was.

"There it is!"

"Zoom out," I said.

"Magic mirror, not so close," Evie whispered. The mirror zoomed out just to show an image of the globe. "Closer. Closer. Closer."