6

"If someone hands you a crying baby," Fairy Godmother inquired, "Do you choose A, curse it? B, lock it in a tower? C, give it a bottle? Or D, carve out its heart?" She pointed to the question on the board.

The boys occupied their table, appearing confused as usual. Mal, not paying attention, sat beside Evie, who had her hand raised eagerly. I sat between them, sketching a wand.

"Evie," Fairy Godmother called her.

"What was the second one?" Evie asked the Fairy Godmother.

"Oh, okay. Anyone else? Y/n?" Fairy Godmother called on me.

"C, give it a bottle," I said without even looking up from my drawing.

"Correct. Again."

"You are on fire, girl!" Carlos commented from the table next to Mal.

"Just choose the one that doesn't sound like any fun," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Ohhh..." Carlos looked up in realization, finally grasping how the whole 'good' thing worked.

A girl with short brown hair, a blue dress, and a blue hair bow strolled up the aisle between the five of us and went straight to Fairy Godmother, squealing as she passed us. I finally looked up from my drawing, sensing that this could be interesting.

"Hello, dear one," Fairy Godmother said to her as the girl passed her a clipboard.

"Hi. You need to sign off on early dismissal for the coronation," the girl said, glancing back at the rest of us. She seemed nervous, even scared.

"Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?" Fairy Godmother said, signing something on the clipboard. Mal and I exchanged smirks, sensing that this might be interesting.

"Mom, no!" Jane protested, attempting to dissuade her mother.

"It's okay," her mother consoled her, handing back the clipboard. "Jane, meet everyone," Fairy Godmother said, giving her daughter a slight push toward us.

"Hi. That's okay, don't mind me. As you were," Jane said before running past us and out of the classroom.

"Ahem. Let's continue," Fairy Godmother said, turning back to the chalkboard. "You find a vial of poison. Do you, A, put it in the king's wine? B, paint it on an apple? Or C, turn it over to the proper authorities?"

Evie, Carlos, and Jay each eagerly raised their hands to respond to the question. However, Jay, glancing at Carlos, subtly grabbed his hand and lowered it, preventing him from answering.

"Jay," Fairy Godmother designated him.

"C," Jay responded with composure, pushing away Carlos' hand, "Hand it over to the proper authorities."

"I was gonna say that," Carlos remarked, playfully hitting Jay on the arm.

"But I said it first," Jay teased Carlos, grabbing him by the head and pulling him onto the table for a noogie.

"Boys," Fairy Godmother called out, attempting to capture their attention, "Boys!" The two halted their playful scuffle and gazed up at Fairy Godmother, "I am going to encourage you to use that energy on the tourney field."

"Oh, no. That's okay," Carlos responded, pushing Jay away, "Whatever that is, we'll pass."

* * * 

Right after the class ended, Evie, Mal, and I gathered at our locker, preparing for our upcoming classes, while Jay and Carlos were engaged in their practice.

Beside us, Ben, Alex, Anna, and a couple of Ben's friends strolled out of the hallway, halting to observe the three of us — The Villains.

"See you later, guys," Evie said, parting ways with Mal and me as she went off to locate her locker and head to her next class.