Chapter 17 - A Realization (Part 4)

Arden's POV-

"Those scars..."

Arden's soft voice slightly calmed the tension, and Alec slowly released Arien's wrist. He looked apologetic, and Arjen looked back with a hint of resentment.

"What about them?"

"They're from mother...aren't they?"

The siblings exchanged a look of surprise before turning to look at their youngest.

"Y-You knew?"

Arden nodded slowly.

"Mother was abusive. I expected to be hit as well, though I suppose she was more lenient on me because of my body's condition..."

Alec looked down at Arden with a look of disapproval.

"In no way was that woman more lenient on you. She poisoned you so heavily to the extent that you could have died if not for father. Had she not already died, I would have asked to kill her myself."

As he said this, his grip on Arden tightened, and his benign smile looked surprisingly menacing. The three children let out squeaks of terror, with Arden trying (and failing) to pry Alec's arms off his body.

As if realizing his mistake, Alec loosened his hold on Arden.

"Ah...I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me...Should I heal it for you?"

His tone was soft and no longer held the menacing aura it had just seconds earlier.

"I'm just worried. Since you three aren't pure blooded royals, your healing powers should be weaker. And it could have been a poisonous insect."

Arien and Arjen looked at each other while sharing a look of confusion. From the perspective of Alec and Arden, it looked like the two understood each other's thoughts, evoking a feeling of envy.

'I feel left out...I want to know what they're thinking too...'

Arden masked his feelings, but it could still be seen from the way he was gripping Alec's jacket.

[276 words]

I didn't expect this chapter to be so short! I originally wanted to make this longer, but I wanted to end it here so we understand everything from the point of view of Arien and Arjen. Lately, I've also been experiencing issues because I mentioned everyone's names at the wrong time...? I also wrote "Alex" instead of "Alec", so I fixed that too...

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! See you next week!

P.S. I think I'll start not including the picture at the top. I feel like it's meaningless, and I'm having a hard time finding pictures...Let me know what you think!