Chapter 12 - Turning Point (Part 5)

Arien and Arjen's POV-

'Crap! The emperor has noticed our scars!'

Arien and Arjen quickly hid their scars as they thought about their origins. The scars were from the maids throwing a vase at them when they were only three years old. Because no one looked after them, they relied solely on their royal healing abilities, which were weak at the time.

Arien glared at the emperor.

'Why is he acting like he didn't know about our suffering...'

From the corner of her eye, she noticed that Alexander and Arden had concluded their play of affection and were, instead, looking at her with shaking eyes.

'Oh no...'

She felt responsible for the fear etched on her youngest brother's face, and it felt as if she had broken her vow to protect him.

Arien looked down regretfully.

'I feel nauseous...and dizzy again..."

She glanced at Arjen, then looked at the emperor fearfully.

"I need to protect Arjen...If I somehow ruined the emperor's mood..."

Arjen noticed her tenseness and gripped her hand in comfort. At the head of the table, the emperor remained silent, but his expression got darker with each second, until he slammed his cup onto the table. This produced a loud sound, surprising the occupants of the room.

"Did Rurahel do that?"

His tone was harsh, scaring the prince and princess. They flinched.

'I'm scared...Those are the same green eyes as last time..."

"An intimidating aura surrounds his body...Why did he bring us here only to treat us like this?'

Arien shielded Arjen from the emperor's line of sight, allowing the boy to roll down his sleeves and hide his scars. She glared at him, opening her mouth to speak.

"You brought us into this world and neglected us. Someone like you has no right to see our scars! Don't ask us something like that!"

Arien yelled angrily, then panted as she noticed the silence in the room. She trembled, suddenly conscious about what she had just done. Then, she staggered and collapsed.

[317 words]