Chapter 6 - Birthday (Part 6)

Arden's POV-

Shortly after Arien and Arjen left his room, Arden fell asleep. However, he was woken up by the sound of a vase shattering. He listened to incoherent words that his mother yelled, as well as soft crying. Then, he heard the loud footsteps approaching his door.

As expected, the door quickly slammed open as the scent of liquor filled his nostrils. His mother had come.

Seeing Arden laying on the bed with his eyes open, Rurahel's gaze softened. She walked over to the bed and kissed her son softly on the forehead.

"Arden, my baby boy! You're awake! Did mommy accidentally wake you up?"

Arden gave a nod of confirmation, fearing that ignoring her would result in an added dose of poison. This seemed to be the wrong decision, since Rurahel became distraught once again and she broke down crying.

"Mommy's so sorry! You won't abandon mommy for this, right?"

Her lips quivered, and so did her hands.

'Yep. She's definitely drunk', Arden thought.

After nearly twenty minutes of crying, Rurahel finally managed to calm down. One look at the clock told her that it was time for another bowl of medicinal soup and his second dose of 'medicine'. The tray was brought to her by Elvis with a snap of her finger.

She sat down on the bed, lifting Arden's head to rest it on her lap. Then she picked up the bowl of soup and slowly fed the small boy, occasionally stopping to wipe his face with a napkin. When the bowl was empty, she put it down and picked up the vial, pouring the contents down her son's throat, before putting the vial onto the tray and sending Elvis away with it.

Arden swallowed the poison with great difficulty. Then, he felt a cough rising from the back of his throat and a towel muffling the sound of his cough. The area of the towel in which he coughed into was red.

Arden looked at the woman. Noticing his questioning eyes, she smiled.

"Don't you like your birthday present? I just acquired a new batch of herbs, so this will be part of your diet from today onwards. Exciting, isn't it?"

She gently wiped his face with the clean part of the towel.

In response, Arden clenched his fist and held back his anger.

[375 words]