Chapter 35: Numb

Voting results at the end of this chapter.
______________________________________
George POV

The sky darkened. The second day of this hell was almost over. The second day of dinosaurs having control over this island. The second day of them having the opportunity to kill all of the innocent men, women, and children who were here.

To make it all worse we had no plan, no hope. The four of us sat on the dirt path, taking a moment to regain our energy after walking almost the entire day under a hot, tropical sun in a lush, tropical jungle. None of us had water, the only drinks that were thrown in the bag were energy drinks, while they did cool us slightly, they weren’t overly refreshing.

“Can you pass me something to eat please?” Dream asked, motioning over to Sapnap. The three guys each had their own backpack, with Sapnap and Dream having them on their laps and Karl sitting on the bag as a cushion. The ravenette scrunched up his face, not seeming happy about Dream’s question.

“You weren’t smart enough to pack your own food.” The ravenette responded, his gaze focusing on the bag of chips in front of them. “Plus I’ve already given you stuff.”
“Sapnap, please.” He continued. “Think of how much stuff I’ve let you have over the years.”
“Yeah Sapnap.” Karl responded. “Sharings good. That’s something you learn when you’re five.”

I didn’t say anything as I watched the interaction, it felt like I was looking into their lives, as though they were interacting on an average day and not on a day when we were being hunted by man-eating prehistoric reptiles. The only thing that reminded me of that was the ache of sitting on the dirt path and the blistering heat.

“Thank you.” Dream smiled as he was handed a bag by the reluctant ravenette. Then the blond glanced over at me. “George, are you hungry? You haven’t eaten anything since this morning.” Dream observed.
“No thanks.” I replied. “I don’t need food.”

“I don’t know when you’ll next get the chance to eat.” Karl muttered. “There is that earthquake dinosaur back at the staff quarters and the main street is bound to be completely overrun.”
“I’m not hungry.” I responded. I managed to give the group a smile to reassure them. As this happened though my gaze caught on Dream.

“If you want you can have my bag to sit on.” The blond offered. He took it from his arms and held it out to me. “It will be a lot more comfortable than the dirt.” At his words I cautiously scooted over to him.

“Thanks .” I muttered, sitting beside him and taking the bag. I readjusted myself. The bag was filled mainly with clothes (I had seen him fill it up), and so I knew it was comfortable. As I sat there I leaned onto his side. After sleeping outside last night it felt comfortable having a person to lean against.

“Are you okay?” The blond asked, looking down at me with a smile. I nodded, muttering to him about how I was a bit tired. He didn’t seem to mind, instead just allowing me to rest for a few minutes. After giving me a small smile he turned away to look over at his two friends that he continued talking to.

I just laid there, not paying attention to what they were talking about and enjoying the opportunity to take a break. My entire body felt disgusting, aside from having my wound disinfected and bandaged I had not cleaned myself since yesterday morning. I stunk a lot, and I was going to definitely need a shower, or five, when I got home.

My gaze remained on the floor, blinking tiredly and making the most of the time. I heard people mentioning the word ‘Jiimmy’, obviously being the name of the person who ran this park. I wondered what it was they were talking about, but it didn’t seem like this conversation was meant for me and so I ignored it.

My eyes closed, just listening to the sound of their voices merging with the birds and insects and dinosaurs. The chittering of a small creature close by also caught my attention, it sounded cute and caused a smile to appear on my face.

I didn’t even react much as I felt a small, sharp rush of my nerves, only a small gasp before relaxing once again. Once again Dream’s voice filled my ear, much more loud and paranoid this time. I didn’t really care in my numb state.

Dream POV.

“How about we try to head back to the staff building? If we are quiet then we can actually get some rest,” Sapnap suggested.
“That wouldn’t be smart.” I responded. “If there is another earthquake we could get crushed.”

“Fine then.” He seemed more annoyed, ripping open another bag of food to snack on. “But I don’t want to sleep outside again.”
“And I don’t want you to waste all the food.” Karl responded, taking the bag off of his boyfriend and putting it back in the bag. Despite Sapnap’s annoyance he was quiet.

“I still can’t believe Jimmy actually left us here.” The ravenette sighed after a while. “We are basically doomed to die. This entire island is going to kill us.”
“It’s almost as if having a dinosaur theme park is bad.” Karl hummed. Sapnap’s eyes narrowed, he was still annoyed with Karl and so he finally made a comment.

“You helped run this place.” Sapnap reminded his boyfriend. “You can’t act as though a dinosaur theme park is a bad idea after you’ve worked here for years!” it seemed like Sapnap was about to respond, but the only thing that I heard was a gasp right beside my ear. That was the first thing I had heard from George in five minutes and I looked over at him.

“Shit!” I saw a small dinosaur beside George’s leg. The other two looked over. The compy had bitten the brunette and bitten into his leg. I lifted George up and kicked at the small dinosaur which hissed and scampered away. Sapnap and Karl stood up, both looking shocked at what had happened.

“Damn it!” I continued, hugging the body of the brunette who managed a small smile in his dazy state. “George I’m so sorry. God damn it.”
“What do we do?” Karl panicked, leaning over the brunette and looking at his leg which was bleeding.

“We’ll have to take him somewhere sheltered.” Sapnap responded, and I nodded in agreement with what my friend said.
“Exactly, the compy probably isn’t alone, and it might try to come back.” I said, feeling saddened as I adjusted George in my arms.

Sapnap grabbed his backpack, and Karl grabbed both his backpack and mine, and without a word we began travelling again through the sweltering heat.
______________________________________
1203 words

So the winning story was very close but it ended up being Cupid winning.

There are two different versions that can be chosen from.
• DNF are cupids getting Karlnap together.
Or
• Karlnap are cupids getting DNF together.

So vote here on which one you'd rather have.