Chapter 33: Screams

Dream POV.

“Calm down.” I said to the brunette, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze. “You don’t have to worry, I won’t let anything happen to you.” He looked over at me, giving a small nod. It didn’t seem like he was overly confident, but he still had trust in me so he allowed me to continue directing him around.

Our backs were hugging the wall, trying to be careful to make sure we weren’t spotted by the dinosaurs that were lurking around. Most of the smaller ones weren’t lurking around but the much larger dinosaur that had spotted us in the window was sniffing around. It hadn’t found us yet, leaving us on edge as we searched for an escape.”

Karl and Sapnap began slowly walking around the building, with the ravenette glancing around before letting out a sigh of relief. “It doesn’t seem like it’s around here.” He told us with a low voice. “This would probably be a good time to move.”

Once again the three of them were in communication, discussing what they should do while I looked around, wanting to make sure there were no dinosaurs. “We should go now, just on at a time so we don’t draw as much attention to ourselves.” Sapnap suggested.

Dream responded in an equally quiet tone. “No, we should go as a group. We don’t want to risk somehow getting separated if the dinosaur does turn up.”
“How are we going to get separated if we are just running across one stretch of land?” The ravenette questioned, raising a brow.

“Why not go around and try to find a golf cart?” Karl questioned. “It’s faster than us trying to run, we’ll get wherever we want to twice as fast.”
“We’ll also draw twice as much attention.” Dream responded. “Plus, I’m pretty sure a dinosaur can outrun a golf cart.”

It was annoying me and so after a moment I just stepped out of our hiding space, looking around before beginning a sprint across the clearing. “George?!” I heard one of the three of them call out behind me. I didn’t respond. I didn’t hesitate or look back, not until I was in safety of the treeline.

“George, what are you doing?” Dream asked when I looked back over at him. He had raised his voice, and I glanced around feeling cautious about the idea that perhaps someone, or something would hear us.
“Come on.” I responded. “Get over here before that thing returns.”

Karl didn’t need to be told twice, hurrying across the clearing to where I was, not daring to look anywhere other than at me. When he got across the clearing he let out a sound of relief, before we both looked back to Dream and Sapnap.

There was a moment of hesitation but eventually the pair of them both sprinted over together, thankfully not gaining the attention of any earth-shaking dinosaurs. Dream struggled slightly, his injury from yesterday still causing issues when it came to moving from one place to another quickly. They both ran at the same time yet Sapnap was at least five seconds faster.

“That was easy.” I murmured when Dream finally reached the rest of us under the safety of the tree. “No point in all of your petty arguments.”
“We were just trying to be careful.” Dream reasoned, and we left it at that. The dinosaur hadn’t spotted us and we wanted to get out of here as fast as we could.

I went back to being quiet, following after them as we walked down the dirt road, hidden from the sunlight by the canopy of trees overhead. “What’s the plan?” I eventually asked, since all  sorts of ideas had been tossed about that I was not completely paying attention to. We weren’t heading back towards the main street.

Cries echoed out from somewhere else on the island, dinosaurs bellowing back and forth to one another in a foreign, prehistoric language. They were all around us, with unknown distances and unknown numbers of trees between us and the meat eating monsters. We all kept our heads down and ignored the sounds, up until hearing a human scream.

“Who was that?” I asked, looking over at the three people around me. Karl shrugged, not recognising the voice or who it came from. “Sh-should we go find them?” I asked. “They might need help.” As I looked over at the trio they all seemed cautious.
“I’m not sure.” Sapnap was the first one to speak out.

His hands went down to his shirt, holding the hem of the fabric. It was clear that he was thinking about what had happened yesterday. The woman that he had met who had apparently been ripped to shreds. He seemed fearful that if we ended up finding someone that they would end up being killed and turning him back into the mournful walking husk.

None of us spoke for a while, listening to more sounds of screams, mixing between human and dinosaur. My voice was uneven and shaky as I looked over to the one member of the trio who seemed stable enough to talk. “Dream?” I asked him, my brows back in exasperation. “Shouldn’t we try and find whoever is there?”

“We should George.” He answered, but before I had the chance to smile at him agreeing with me he spoke again. “But we have to think about keeping ourselves safe, not trying to save other people.” My face fell, watching as his morals and kindness disappeared. The cries in the distance continued, and I’m pretty sure it was coming from the main street.

The scream rang out again, causing my anxieties to build up. If it weren’t for Dream grabbing my hand I would have likely tried running back the way we came to try and find her. Despite the fact that none of us were in the mood to move, we still ended up all standing still in the path, listening to the person crying.

Eventually the scream that rang out was cut off in a way that wouldn’t be humanly possible. There wasn’t any way that this person would be able to stop screaming on their own. I fidgeted with my hands, tears building in my eyes as I thought about all of the different ways that this could happen.

Dream noticed my reactions and pulled me into a hug, one which I didn’t lean into but I also didn’t try to resist. “They’re dead.” I murmured, my voice small and broken. “We could have tried to help, but they’re dead.”
“We wouldn’t have made it in time.” Sapnap spoke up.

It hurt to hear, but I guess it was true. I didn’t say anything though, with Dream giving me a few moments to calm down. “Are you ready to keep going?” He asked, his voice monotone and uncaring.
______________________________________
1169 words

Voting is tomorrow. You guys will have the option of a couple new stories to choose from!