Chapter 23: Control Room

George POV.

My body provided a sort of crutch for Dream. Something for him to put his weight against as we worked our way silently through the facility, looking for Sapnap along with any sign of the dinosaurs that were in here. After spending an hour or so in here taking care of Dream I had gotten used to the smell of the putrid blood.

Although I was still terrified that I could die at any moment, I was more reassured by the fact that I was with two people who knew somewhat how to deal with dinosaurs. Despite the fact that I felt reassured, I still didn’t know where one of those two people were. What if Sapnap had been killed while I was with Dream?

From somewhere up ahead there was an inhuman screech, causing both of our gazes to snap in the direction. “Do you think that could have been…” I cut myself off, not wanting to be the one to say that, if my guess was correct it would be painful.

“It wouldn’t have been…” Dream cut himself off as well. Despite his words it seemed that he was uncertain if he was right or not.
“Should we go and check it out?” I asked, wanting his expert dinosaur opinions instead of saying anything myself. “He might need our help.”

Although I wasn’t sure what help we would be able to provide. I knew next to nothing about dinosaurs, plus I had no skill to fight anything. Meanwhile Dream had almost had his inside clawed out, and he could barely walk. So there was no way that he would be able to help Sapnap either.

The two of us moved as fast as possible. However this wasn’t fast, since Dream was incredibly injured. All the while we heard screeches from up ahead, and we prayed that it wasn’t because Sapnap was being torn to shreds.

Sapnap POV.

A grin grew on my face as I managed to wrestle the door open. The moment it was open something was thrown at me and I swore while avoiding it. A woman was in the room, she was wearing a lab coat and her body was pressed against a panel with different buttons and levers.

When she realised that I wasn’t a carnivorous dinosaur she stood properly, her breath uneven as she looked at me. “I’m sorry.” She muttered. “I had thought… I’m sorry.”
“No, it’s fine.” I replied, relieved that at least someone had survived. “What has happened here?”

The woman grew uneasy, lowering her gaze to her lab coat as she brushed it down. “The power was shut down an hour or so ago… I was locked in here and so I didn’t get attacked, but I saw from the cameras that dinosaurs had gotten in and were killing everyone. I’ve tried to contact park security or the mainland but I can’t reach anyone.”

“How did you access the cameras?” I asked. “Power all over the park has shut down.”
“This lab has a generator for the cameras and lighting.” She explained. “But there doesn’t seem to be much power left.” Her brows furrowed. My gaze trailed around the room, seeing all of the blinking lights however none of them seemed to have any abilities to help.

“I think… I think I am the only one left.” She told me, seeming close to crying. “All of my coworkers… all of my friends, were killed by the dinosaurs. The cameras have been cut out and so I don’t know if there is anyone left.” Worry was running through me at the thought that there were dinosaurs hunting down everyone, that would include an injured Dream and George.

However this woman, the one right in front of me, also needed help. “My friends and I are going to get out of here.” I told her. “Dream, George, and I are going to get back to the main part of the island and then to the docks. You can come with us.” She nodded, seeming happy at the idea of getting out of this room.

To the left of the panel was a metal cupboard. Inside of it were multiple tranquilliser guns, along with some stun grenades if there was ever a dinosaur escape. “What luck.” I muttered, watching as the scientist grabbed the gun to pass to me. She was holding it awkwardly, obviously never having held a gun before and so I quickly took it off of her.

“These aren’t as good as real guns.” I sighed, since because of the situation it would be much better to kill anything coming after us instead of just knocking them unconcious.
“At least you are using it and not me.” The woman chuckled. “I’d probably shoot myself in the foot and be an even easier meal than I already am.”

“What is your name anyway?” I asked her, going back to the doorway of the room as I spoke. However as I was moving I kept my gaze over my shoulder so I was looking at her.
“Oh, my name is… look out!!” She suddenly screamed, causing me to spin around to be face-to face with an angry raptor.

It hissed at me and didn’t bother to wait before charging at me. Since my gun was not aimed at it I instead held it out in front of me. The oversized lizard sunk it’s teeth into the metal before attempting to tug it away. It multi-tasked, attempting to claw at my stomach however I managed to launch a kick, crushing it’s hand first.

The creature screeched out, releasing the gun from it’s grasp and I turned the chamber to be pointing at the creature’s chest and I shot at it, twice. It began a stumbling run towards me, fangs bared again before falling when I kicked it again.

“‘Come on.” I said to the woman, who I still didn’t know the name of. “Raptors like this usually travel in packs, so we should get going.”
“Are your friends still here?” She asked, cautiously grabbing the other gun and holding it to her chest as she walked over to me.

I nodded. After she had reached me I stepped over the dinosaur and helped her over. We cautiously looked down the hallways to make sure nothing was following us as the lights flickered overhead. “They were back this way.” I told her, beginning to walk the way I came.

Neither of us spoke as we searched along the corridor with furrowed brows. I hoped that both of my friends were okay, however the moment that we turned the corner I heard the female scientist cry out from behind me, followed by a snarl.
______________________________________
1234 words

What could have happened to the sxientist?