Chapter 29

LEVI

The gala was nothing like the other galas because I had my dove at my side.

As we enter through the big doors of the venue they rented for today, Yvonne comes even closer to me and I place my hand on her waist to show everyone that she's fucking taken.

I can feel her shiver at the contact once, but she seems to be embrace it, brushing a kiss on my cheek.

Something shifted in me a while ago. When from my wife, she became my wife. Like I would mean it. I don't know when I started falling for Yvonne Pruitt, but heck, I'm not going back now. I couldn't. That girl crashed into my life faster than the cars I drive. If she would run away, she might as well take my whole heart with her.

It only beats for her anyway.

"Mr. Dyer", a voice calls, then quickly adds. "Mrs. Dyer."

Yvonne and I turn in sync, to be greeted by a journalist.

Here we go.

I offer her a look saying that we'll go if she says so, yet she stays there, answering my hidden question with a reassuring nod.

"Michael Gertrude, I work for Sports Time. It's an honour to meet you, Mr. Dyer. Might I say, you have quite the reputation."

I don't know if I want to know what he's talking about.

"One World Champion title, multiple Championships winning Constructors with APOLLO, plus an impressive amount of podiums...", he explains. I relax a bit. Yvonne must have felt it, for she offers a kiss on my cheek, saying: "Yes, Levi is the best indeed."

Her compliment meant more than any trophy I could ever win. And it's all topped with one of her smiles.

"You're so lucky to have a man like him", the journalist says.

Yvonne nods, yet I am quick to interrupt her. "I am the lucky one. Yvonne is the absolute best. She's funny, and kind, and gorgeous. She makes me smile in a way no one does. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm the lucky one."

"Baby", she lets out, kissing my lips. My heart stills. My team principal won't be happy with me. I almost went through a stroke from a kiss. And one wouldn't want to take a trip through my mind right now.

"So, how did you two meet?", he asks us.

I share a look with Yvonne. How did the two of us meet?

"At a fashion show", I respond. "As I saw her, I knew I was looking at the most beautiful woman to ever exist."

I didn't even have to lie. Yvonne's cheeks flush pink. Because somehow, she knew.

"And, might I say, your wedding was one of Instagram's most searched events. It came such as a surprise upon us all. How did your proposal go? We want to know everything."

"Oh", Yvonne is the one to answer now. "I don't know if you could imagine this, but Levi here is quite the romantic."

I look at her, feeling my cheeks pink. The journalist only asks an "Oh?"

"Yeah", Yvonne responds. "We were driving down the French Riviera in his favorite car. A vintage convertible from APOLLO. The sun setting in the sea, but my eyes were on the man next to me. At one point, he stopped the car and went down on one knee. I didn't have to think much before saying yes. As we kept driving again, he changed the music into Always Be My Baby, my favorite song to exist."

Okay...

My heart lights up at the view, Yvonne and I driving along the coast, me going down on one knee... until it shatters. Because I realise none of it is real.

I try to keep it all inside, a polite smile on as I brush a kiss on Yvonne's temple.

"What a gentleman", the journalist says.

My heart keeps breaking. A fucking moron, that's what he is.

"I know, right?", Yvonne again.

We keep answering some more questions, until we say goodbye to the journalist and make our way through the room. We spot Lewis and Aria at one point, two figures talking to them. Looking more closely I recognize Chris and Fabio. And it's not me who starts walking towards them but Yvonne, who now leads us towards our friends.

"Yvonne, Levi", Aria lets out as she notices us. She comes running, making a spectacle of her princess like golden gala dress. As she's close, she gives a long hug to Yvonne, then I spin her around us and we do our secret handshake.

"Where were you?", we then follow Aria to the table the four were at.

"Busy with interviews", I respond.

"I honestly don't know how you do it, babe", Yvonne tells me.

I flinch at the nickname. So does Aria, who gives me a side-eye saying she'll expect details later.

I roll my eyes annoyed.

There are other things I'd enjoy doing later.

Things that involve Yvonne and a bed.

A smirk tugs on my lips at that thought.

"You okay?", my dove asks me.

I wipe away the thoughts from my head, but they seem engraved in there.

"I'm fine, dove", I say, kissing her lips. "Actually, better than ever."

And in a world in which we try to pretend, the smile on her face is real.