35: "I'm a Monster, Ni."

Harry's P.O.V

  Darcy laid in the hospital bed, her eyes closed and features peaceful. She looked like a little girl lying there, all the worry lines on her face temporarily vanished. My eyes were swollen and stung so bad that Darcy's nurse had to get my an ice pack, to my embarrassment.

  I sat next to her in her bed for hours on end. Her hair was a bit of a tangled mess, but thanks to me and a comb I picked up at some drug store a few blocks down, her hair flowed perfectly around her face. My fingers traced some bruises on her arms, and I kissed her cheek lightly.

  "Please wake up for me, please," I whispered. The sun poured in from the giant window to the side of the room. The walls were all completely white. Next to Darcy was an IV machine that made reassuring beeps every second to let me know not to give up. There was a couch against the farthest wall, where my stuff laid. It had become my bed temporarily for the past two days, even though the boys insisted I come home.

  Tiffany was flying in with Eleanor soon. I honestly didn't even want them to come in the first place. All I wanted was Darcy to myself. After believing that she was really gone for the past week and a half, all I wanted was to hold her in my arms all day long. I just wanted her to wake up so I could hear her voice. All I wanted to hear was that voice.

  I let out a quiet sob and held on to her hand tightly. My whole arm was shaking. The intense pain from these past two days has been unbearable. It felt like the wight of the world was on my shoulders, everything was my fault. It was my fault that Paul was lying in an identical bed in the urgent care. It was my fault Darcy was in pain.

  It was all my fault.

  My mum was flying up to stay with me here in London for a few days. The boys had spent hours talking with me for the past few days, but I knew that they were sick of me being in this state. I just couldn't help it. I was so numb from everything that I left my best friend in a vent for crying out loud!

  Darcy's lip twitched slightly, but that wasn't anything new. It was something that she had been doing for the past two days, which always made my heart race uncontrollably and made me feel happier, even though I knew that didn't mean she would wake.

  "Please, baby. Can you hear me?" I called out. It felt like I was talking to a brick wall, which was pretty much true. The doctors said that she was sleep deprived and needed her rest, reminding me over and over 'not to bother her whatsoever'. Was it so wrong that I just wanted to hear her voice?

  I felt around in my pocket for the little black box. After a few seconds of searching, my hand closed around the item. I slipped it out and opened the lid, which revealed a shiny, silver promise ring with Darcy and I's names carved in the inside. I'd had two made after Darcy went missing, and vowed to myself to find her and give it to her.

  I had completely forgotten all about it. My mum found it in my room a few weeks back and had it delivered, but now I was faced with having the guts to give it to her. Would she think it was weird? Does she think it's too far?

  But a little voice in the back of my head kept saying 'You've lost her twice already and she's come back both times. You've got to be doing something right.'

  There was a soft rapping at the door, and before I could say 'come in', Niall was standing before me with the same apologetic smile on his face that everyone else wore. I smiled sheepishly and he sat in the chair on the other side of Darcy's bed, taking a moment to look at her.