For a Moment

Ember's POV

Sighing I made my way into the pack house and plopped down in the den and flipped on the TV. Scanning through the channels I found nothing interesting, I flipped the tv back off and stood, approaching the ladder that leads up. I decided to climb up and see what I could find. My breath caught in my throat when I made it to the top, and then I felt the excitement thrumming through my body. A cozy little reading nook away from prying eyes, I looked around and all the way in the corner there was already a decent stack of books by the window. I grabbed one of the blankets sitting around and made myself comfortable after thumbing through the books and deciding on one. 

My reading was suddenly interrupted by voices carrying up from below. "I swear Beta her eyes" she paused, lowering her voice. "They flashed; they flashed gold!" she pushed. "That's not possible. The only way her eyes would be gold is if she was an Alpha by blood and even then, her eyes are clear as day blue." Beta Archer grumbled lowly at her. "It's not her. It can't be." he finished. The voice I recognized as Hunter didn't speak again. I assumed they finished the conversation at that. Sitting back, I started to ponder. I would definitely have to figure out who it is the big bad beta was in search of. I could assure him- it wasn't me.

I climbed down from the loft and walked into the kitchen to prepare myself something to eat, the day had flown on by quicker than I had expected. Turning around I smacked right into a hard muscular chest. "O-oh I'm sorry." I grumbled out not looking up, instead pushing on past the person. A hand grabbed my wrist and spun me around, a tingling sensation jumping up my arm. "Watch where you are going" Alpha Alex said to me as I jerked my arm back. "I said I was sorry." I stated hatefully. I watched as he glanced back down to my hand. Suddenly I was being pinned to the wall hot heavy breaths on my ear. "You are nothing but trouble." he said lowly. my back stiffened up. heat rising to my cheeks. I looked up and stared directly into those golden orbs that would have any normal wolf cowering back in fear. To me- they were beautiful-I could've sworn I saw his eyes soften up with an emotion, sadness, maybe? I wasn't sure, so like normal I ignored it and continued to glare at him. "Watch where you are going or you're going to regret it." he stated. I kept quiet. with one last look at me he pushed himself away and walked out before I could say a word.

I decided it best to retreat into the comfort of my bed. I put away my food and made my way into my room and did my nightly routine and pulled the blankets back, climbing into the bed and snuggling down deep between the many pillows I pulled the blankets back over my body. Sleep overtook me quickly and I found myself dreaming. Not any normal dream- oh no- but a dream of brimstone and fire, and chanting words I could quite decipher.

I woke with a sudden start and drenched in sweat my skin hot to the touch. Confused, I got out of bed. 3:00 AM. There was something about that dream that I couldn't shake. I decided I would go asking around to see if there was a local witch in the area who could help me figure out what the dream was about. I also think it's for the best that the alpha doesn't know what I am up to. I pulled my hoodie on over my head and slipped on a pair of cheap flip-flops and quietly made my way to the very end of the hall and I knocked and waited patiently.

"E-Ember? What in the Goddess name are you doing up at such an hour?" I cursed under my breath at his loudness and grabbed his wrist, looking both directions and drug him into the darkness of his own room shutting the door firmly but quietly behind me. "Look Carter, I need your help, but you can't say anything to anyone, and I am trusting you with this, please please please don't let me down." I pleaded in a hushed tone.

 He leaned back against his door and smirked a smug look flashing across his eyes. "What's in this for me? Why didn't you just go to Charolotte for your 'help'." he asked me, studying me closely. I crossed my arms over my chest. My turn to smirk. "Because, I have a feeling shell run straight to her brother and he'll try and stop me in fear of me causing trouble before I can do what needs to be done, also don't think I am trusting you blindly, I see the way you look at Charolotte." I answered him coolly. For a moment he looked panicked, but it changed soon into determined. "Name your price for silence." he said his thick Scottish accent carrying.

 "I need to know if there is a local witch around here, I had this dream, brief but it felt real, and when I woke, I was pouring sweat and hot to the touch." I explained. "I need to know what it means." He looked at me with a look of concern. "I'll help you, it's about an hour away, when do you want to leave?" "Right now." I said, he nodded grabbing his jacket. I quietly peaked the door open and looked both ways before sneaking out of his room him closely behind me as he silently shut his door behind him and off, we went quietly into the night.

Alex's POV

I heard quiet noises coming from the hallway from my study- it was dark in here, but the door was open- the only thing that would give me away is the glow of my eyes, sometimes I come in here to think and sit and listen to the creatures of the night through the window. I squinted my eyes slightly to keep my eyes from glowing too brightly and noticed Ember in front of Carter's door. I watched quietly, something like jealousy stirring up inside of my stomach when I watched her grab his wrist and drag him back into his room.

 Taking a deep breath I tried to control my wolf. I had no right to get upset with who she decides to spend her time with. My stomach did a flip and churned-However- it did hurt to know that she decided to spend her time with another male wolf, my delta at that, before even knowing if I would reject her or not. I couldn't necessarily blame her though. I wasn't exactly a ball of sunshine. My thoughts where interrupted by the door to Carter's room opening up again. 'That was fast' I thought to myself. 

I continued to watch, and to my surprise they both exited the room in a sneaky fashion and made their way out of the packhouse. I didn't follow. I made a mental note to pull Carter to the side later sometime and ask him what happened and where they went. I stood from my chair and decided to retire to my room for the night.