Chapter 23: Íss Vargr

Night growled and pounced on Cait, she had taken the cub out to play in the snow and to get rid of some of its energy, at two months old the tiny cub was no more, with the rich food Cait was feeding him he grew quickly and now he was roughly the size of a common wolf. Cait swiftly moved and pulled out a scrap length of rope, she offered one end to the young dread wolf and kept a firm hold of the other.

With a growl Night took the rope into his jaws and they started to play tug of War. Ingrid came over with Glimmer and her cubs and watched as Cait and Night fought over the rope. Glimmer's cubs bounded into the paddock the war horses used for their monsters and over to Night. Although Glimmer had not adopted the Dread Wolf, once her cubs were starting to be weaned, she insisted on them coming and exhausting their energy with Night.

Other younger Dire Wolves also liked to play and teach the young cubs the skills they would need when they grew up. Night released the rope and dropped down his front half and wagged his tail in excitement. Can I? he asked Cait, Cait had tamed him a little after his eyes had finally opened.

"Go on, that's why they are here." Cait coaxed and the cubs started to play and rough house with the older wolves.

Cait joined Ingrid at the fence, adult wolves watched, ready to step in if things got out of hand. As different as Night was to the Dire Wolves they never treated him differently, unlike the Dread Wolves in the realm of dead he wasn't brought up as a lone wolf, he was socialised with other Wolf monsters so he didn't instantly see them as enemies although he had learnt that Frost Wolves were not pack but as long as they didn't attack the dire wolves wouldn't.

Leeanne pushed the young Glacial Cave Lion she had found and tamed out of the house. "Go on Yuki, play with Night and the others." The young cave lion huffed and stalked into the field, keeping low, just as it went to pounce a dire wolf cub noticed him and bounded over to play causing Yuki to playfully hop up and bounce out of the way before they started to play fight. Fern, Void and Golden watched with older Dire Wolves and even played with the cubs as more cubs were brought here to play and work off energy. Sol yawned and hopped down from where he was sleeping to join in the watching and playing. The young cave lion wasn't much bigger than Night but looking at their feet proved they had a long way to go when it came to growing.

"They are both growing well," Ingrid remarked as Leeanne joined them at the fence.

"Yeah, because we feed them and feed them and feed them." Leeanne stated.

"And Jayda says soon we will have to start levelling them to help them grow." Cait added and Ingrid nodded, the cubs would soon all be taken out to start learning to hunt, monsters levelled quickly up to level 10 then it slowed down as the experience needed grew more after that.

"Damn Night's teeth a getting big," Ingrid remarked as Night mimicked Yuki and Sol's yawn to show off his teeth.

"Yeah," Cait said proudly.

There was a crunch of heavy feet, but Ingrid paid it no mind. Ericson leant on the fence and watched the frolicking monsters. "Still freaks me out, seeing you guys so friendly with wild monsters."

Ingrid glanced to him, "It's normal for us," she told him as Night came over and after receiving permission, he stood up so that Cait could scratch his head.

"He's a weird looking Dire Wolf," Ericson remarked.

"Night is actually a Dread Wolf," Cait remarked as Night licked at her arms. "Go play," she coaxed, and he got down before he bounced off and somehow managed to trip over his large paws and face planted. Clumsily he got back up and shook the snow off before again he bounded off to play.