Chapter 16: Making plans

Hi everyone.

Here is the promised chapter, I hope you enjoy it, as usual, it only has basic editing, please don't be an asshat.

Have fun and a happy festive season.

🎅🎄🎁🤶🍾🎆🎇🥂🥳

Chapter 16: Making plans.

Jayda, Frey, Astra, and Mia walked into the formal training ground of the Royal knights a few days later. Frey had finally agreed to a sparring match with the royal knights, at the same time the king was going to use this as a little amusement for the other royals and ambassadors. Arnold had also asked for the special training gear to be used so that his people would not get hurt. Jayda had whipped up a special set that he could borrow as needed but not own, the gear would only be used when his people sparred with War Horses.

Jayda walked over and offered a bag of training gear to the knights, before returning to her friends and giving them each a bag and they started to dig out the gear and put it on or in their item boxes. Frey leant the training buckler against her leg as she put on the harness which would track hits. She had two other shields in the gear as well as several spear types and swords.

Astra sorted through her training gear as she put it on or in her item box, Jayda already had her gear on and was getting ready. Frey moved into the centre of the field as she buckled her shield on and waited for Jayda to explain the gear. The Vice Knight Commander, Phoebe, was readying herself as she was going to fight Frey first.

"Okay, this gear counts hits not damage. You land one hit on us, and you win, ten hits from us and you lose." Jayda explained, "The gear will protect you from taking actual damage up until a point." She added before she turned and went to join the others sitting on the waiting benches.

Frey readied herself, "striith til vinna,[battle to win,]" she said as she knocked her sword against her shield.

Phoebe cautiously closed the gap and started to fight, Frey let her attack although she blocked every move and then pushed the other woman away with a shield bash. Phoebe used all the tricks and skills Jayda had taught her, had it been anyone other than Frey or a War Horse, she would have won easily, but like her, Frey too was being trained by Jayda.

They fought for several minutes, Frey was deliberately fighting in just a way to stay a step ahead of her opponent, allowing her to grow, but never to win. Frey found the weak spots in Phoebe's defence and made sure to strike those weak spots. Every time Phoebe thought she had found a gap in Frey's defence she realised too late it was a trap. Frey struck her for the tenth time and Phoebe got a shock.

Frey sheathed her short sword and offered a hand to Phoebe to help her up, Phoebe took her hand and stood.

"Against anyone else," Phoebe muttered.

"Agreed, against anyone else." Frey told her before Phoebe walked off to be replaced by the Knight Commander. Fulton rolled his shoulders as he prepared to fight.

"Phoebe did well," Astra remarked.

"Very well, she wouldn't lose against an A-rank," Jayda replied.

"Damn, Jayda really is good at fixing flaws." Arnold stated.

Tomas nodded, Jayda had also worked on his and Marline's skills over the journey and the time they waited for the conference, he doubted he could clear a S-ranked dungeon, but he probably would be able to fight safely against an Iron Minotaur and even win without it being a life-or-death battle. Fulton and Frey's fight was intense, Phoebe was a technical fighter, Fulton was a power fighter. When his blows struck Frey's shield they made a loud sound, Frey either blocked or dodged, looking for his weaknesses, when she found it she would lash in.