Chapter 14: Stalling the Drums

Hello everyone.

Soz about the confusion concerning the release date of this chapter, I put down the wrong date, I generally release fortnightly on a Sunday (Aussie time.) Now, this chapter isn't as long as others at only 10 pages however this chapter is a setup for the next which should be longer. I am warning you because I know, no matter how long I make the chapters you always want more, which makes me happy you are enjoying.

As usual, basic editing so, don't be an Asshat, also, damn it's nearly Christmas... time to get out my Christmas shirt collection... (I have so many.)

Have fun.

Chapter 14: Stalling the drums.

Jayda walked up to a tent city surrounded by earthen walls just as winter finally set in, the pass was blocked with snow which would prevent the movement of people. Her hood was up, and she wore a muffler to hide part of her face. They had decided not to come in as a group, Frey and Mia had come in the day before, and Astra was further back in the line, she wasn't wearing her distinctive Dire Wolf cloak but a water bear cloak, as famous as Astra was, people only recognised her because of her cloak. Until they found out that no one from the Empire was here they were being cautious.

Jayda got through the check quickly, the guard had told her roughly where the makeshift guild was and the reason the fort wasn't currently in use. Apparently, monster rats had over run the fort and they were waiting for experts to deal with the problem. It was a problem that happened from time to time in many towns and forts. Morriston had a division dedicated to keeping the population down because they didn't have the same luxury Pass Fort did, they couldn't evacuate the Morriston because there was no where safe to house everyone for the duration of an extermination quest.

Jayda made it to the makeshift guild quickly and ducked into a large tent, there was an orderly line, so Jayda got into it, the job boards were outside.

"Next," A staff member called.

Jayda stepped up to the desk and put her card down. "Check in," she told the receptionist.

They took the card and turned to check them in, as they walked to the device, they finally looked at the card and almost faltered. They continued to the device checked her in and then walked over to a set of pigeonholes to retrieve a letter, there were four, one for each member as they weren't coming in as a group.

Returning to Jayda they returned her card and handed her the letter and a rough sketch of the tent city. "B and above are camping in area two. Bath area is in area one with the mess tents." Jayda took everything and left, using the map she got to area two, it wasn't a large area but that didn't matter. There was a group of tents set up at one end, probably a B ranked clan, then there were two tents set up together, there was a respectful distance between the groupings. She recognised the other two tents as she had made and given them to Mia and Frey back before they left Morriston. The tents were more than they seemed, they had space expansion, temperature control and if needed, it could cast a barrier and camouflage. Jayda walked up to the tent with Barbarian markings. "Frey þú gamall vatn vargr, þú hí." [Frey you old water wolf, you here.]

"Já ek'm hí," [Yes, I'm here,] Frey said several seconds later as she came out of her tent.

Mia came out of her tent and rumbled, Seriously, why can I understand you, yet I cannot say a single word? She asked.

"þú haftilr munu vatnr vargr til mæli okkarr tunga," [You have to be a Water Wolf to speak our tongue] Frey said with a shrug.

"Ek em klan," [I am clan,] Jayda added.

"vér munu takþúr, íssrinn vargr klan munu takþúr inn," [We will take you; the ice wolf clan will take you in,] Astra said as she came up to them. she then growled gently, is there anyone from the Empire here?