Chapter 6: Schooling the Magic School

Hello peeps,

A new chapter awaits, I hope you all enjoy it, please remember this has only basic editing so don't be an asshat. Also, I have been offered by a couple of people who would love to edit (we all know they just want to read the next chapter asap.) I have chosen not to at this time because it might add more time between updates and I know people are antsy about the fortnightly updates and if I extended it... yeah nah, I don't want to deal with that shitstorm.

Like I said, happy reading.

Chapter 6: Schooling the magic school.

Two days later Jayda stood before a portable forge, she had finally settled on blue steel, much to Astra's chagrin. However, once Jayda explained the properties of the metal and how it would help the War Horses when they used their skills, Astra relented but only after Jayda promised people wouldn't be able to notice right away that shoes were blue steel if they every did.

Jayda already had bars of the alloy, having made thousands of them back before she left her parents. The forge she had brought was a dwarven travelling forge, not a portable like most farriers used, Jayda had decided on a dwarven travelling forge for the simple reason that she needed heat. When they got back to Morriston she would have to invest in a smithy with a dwarven processing forge. The ring of metal striking metal soon filled the air as she moulded the metal from a thick brick into a thinner bar. She worked for a while, quickly turning two bars into a set of shoes for Cobalt, she had decided on making a set of shoes that weren't commonly used, most used a simple U shaped shoe, while she had decided on Rim shoes, for the added traction they would probably need, she had been thinking of adding sliding shoes to their hind legs for sudden stopping, but had decided for now Rim shoes would be fine.

Jayda kept checking against the template she had made of all four of Cobalt's hooves to make sure she had the size about right, she would make finer adjustments just before she shoed him.

"Excuse me," Jayda glanced over when she was almost done preparing the shoes. One of Tomas's people was leading the Elven diplomat, they had been waiting for an appropriate gap in her work to interrupt her.

"Thank you, you can stand by for now," he told the servant who simply glanced to Jayda for a moment before he moved off to a discrete distance.

"Cobalt!" Jayda called and the large War Horse raced up to her and gave her a kiss. "Yes, yes, your skull crushing shoes are ready." She told him and got a happy snort. "You talk, I will work."

Jayda started to work, cleaning, trimming, and preparing the first hoof before she would check the fit.

"Will you come back to Leaf Tree..." he asked a little irritated that she wasn't completely focusing on him.

"No," Jayda told him firmly as she filed the sharp edges down, she had been trained on divine steeds so knew how to shoe a horse correctly as well as the theory behind fixing cracks in hooves.

"You will be welcome if that is your concern," he told Jayda.

"Again the answer is no," she stated as she reached for the right shoe that had been put in the fire to heat, the fit was perfect so she quenched the metal in dwarves oil, she then placed the still hot shoe against the hoof for a moment before she lifted it up and quenched the metal again to cool it further but not completely as she wanted the metal to shrink to lock in the nail.

"We have a legend about you," he started to explain.

"No, you don't," Jayda dismissed as she finished nailing the shoe in place and did the finishing touches before she moved to the next hoof after throwing the prepared shoe into the forge. "The only thing my birth parents gave me, the only thing worth the betrayal of being left alone as a newborn in a forest to be found by monsters." She said as she finished preparing the hoof and started to check it's fit. It needed a slight adjustment which she did before she quenched it. "They gave me freedom, I am no longer a Dark Elf, I am something else." She told him as she pressed the hot metal to the hoof for a few moments before she quenched the metal a little more.