Chapter 6 |Ruby|

| Chapter 6 |

| Ruby |

After leaving our dorm room to go to our classes, each of us were pumped and ready to go. We worked out our plan. It would start at midnight--because of security and Darren's fear of the light. Riley will sneak out first and clear the way with his so-called "skills." His words, not mine. In the meantime, the five of us will pack what we need.

"Do you think we can actually do this?" Kathleen leans over to me during class, her voice hopeful. I give her a wry smile.

"God, I sure hope so," I whisper. The lecturer drones on for the next hour.

At lunch, we all sit together, chatting in careful code a detailed version of our escape.

"Sir," I raise my hand in my afternoon class, and the lecturer looks at me expectantly.

"Yes, Miss Flanagan?" His tone is hopeful at the chance of one of his students actually having the courage to answer a question.

"May I go to the bathroom?" I'd promised Lakota I'd meet up with her to sort out a few problems at 2:30. It was 2:20.

The teacher's shoulders sink at my words. "Yes, Ruby. Would you like to answer the question first?"

I rack my brain for the words he had said before I raised my hand. What was the full title of the ship that sank in 1912?

"The RMS Titanic, Sir." I hadn't been in the Institute long--I used to go to regular school, whereas some of these kids hadn't. He nods and waves his hand toward the door. I stand carefully, smooth my already-tight-enough black jeans and blue hoodie, and walk out of the room. Checking my watch, I noticed that it was already 2:25. I needed to hurry, before I missed her.

I walked through the hallways of the Institute. I hadn't noticed before, but there were paintings on the walls here and there. I recognized a few, like Starry Night and Girl in a Chemise. Others were completely foreign--mostly abstract. I feel like Fear's Children, as they call us, would like something more serene and calming, rather than something they have to think upon and decipher to really know what it is. These people really are cruel.

I hurry my way into the bathroom, closing the door and checking the stalls for other people. Lakota was leaning against the wall next to a sink.

"So?" I asked. "What are the problems we need to sort out?"

"Money. How do we get it?" She keeps her eyes locked on her folded arms. "I won't steal."

"And we won't," I tell her anxiously. "We'll figure something out. I have a preposition for the rest of the group, and I want to tell everyone when we've left." She nods and walks out of the ladies' bathroom.

I sit in my room. Anxiously check my alarm. 11:36. Riley should be back soon. My one backpack was packed with as many clothes as I could manage, as well as my iPod, a map, a pocket knife, and my earbuds. Kathleen was sitting on my bed next to me with a pink duffel bag in her lap. I stood up and started to pace.

"Where is he?" I stammered. "He should be back by now. What if something happened to him?" I crossed my arms, tapping my lower lip with my middle and index finger.

"He'll be here," Levi told me from the corner where he leaned. His voice wasn't very convincing.

Suddenly, the door burst open. Darren came in, a worried expression on his face.

"Guys, we have to go. Now!" His voice was frantic. Very unlike Darren.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Riley is waiting, but they're coming quick. Come on!" We all stood and filed out the door. When in the hallway, we started to sprint toward the exit that Lakota went through earlier today. We burst through the doors, and Riley stood at the edge of the woods, quietly motioning us forward. The five of us, Darren, Levi, Kathleen, Lakota, and I, bolted across the street and into the safe confinement of the woods.

"We should walk along the road until we find a town," I said when we were far enough away from the building.

"Okay," Levi replied, walking up to me. "Do you have a map?"

I gestured to my backpack. "Right here." He nodded.

We walked for about an hour, going through the rest of the plan carefully as we went. Kathleen pointed to a small house in the distance, and then a main street a while further down the road.

Kathleen started to run. Her white dress drifted behind her as her little shoes hit the ground softly.

"Kathleen!" I yelled after her. I started to run, laughing a little at how free I felt.