Chapter 98

After creaming the butter together with the sugar, molasses, and a pinch of salt, I cracked a few eggs into the mixture, and handed it over to Isaac again.

"Can you mix this for me?" I asked.

"I don't know how to do it properly though," he replied.

"You don't need a technique, you just need to mix until it's all incorporated together," I explained. "I need to try and find another ingredient, but I'm not sure where it might be."

"Alright, I'll do it," Isaac sighed. "And don't try to trick me with that excuse, I know you just don't want to use your arms!"

"Yeah, yeah, sure."

I climbed onto the counter again, and the two of them looked at me weird.

"Be careful, don't fall off," Lionel warned me.

"I'll be fine, don't worry," I replied, opening a spice cabinet and shuffling around different jars, bottles, and boxes to see if I could find some vanilla beans.

They may not have vanilla extract here, but this family is rich. They must have vanilla somewhere...

I started opening a few of the boxes in the back of the cabinet, without any luck. After thoroughly inspecting the first cabinet, I moved over to the second one and searched around as well.

How does this kitchen have every possible spice, herb, pepper, and flavoring stocked, but never use a single one when cooking? They're all just going to waste! I thought angrily to myself.

I was starting to get dizzy from all the intense flavors and smells, so I cleared my head by checking on Isaac.

"That looks good, you can stop mixing it for now,"

"Ughhh..." Isaac dropped his arm instantly. "My arm is on fire!"

"Heh... I know how that feels," Lionel mumbled.

I went back to checking the cabinet, opening up another pristinely kept box that was shoved into the back, likely never been touched after it was bought.

My eyes widened as I saw the distinct shape of cured vanilla beans, and the light, sweet, scent drifted into my nose.

"I found it!" I yelled, scaring both Lionel and Isaac.

I climbed down from the counter, waving the box in front of them.

"Smell it," I encouraged them. "It's amazing!"