𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

I ain't a kid no moreWe'll never be those kids again

We'll never be those kids again

𝒊𝒗𝒚, frank ocean

Selene woke up in a tow truck, leaning against the tow wench of a pickup bed.

The world seemed hazy as she struggled to sit up, her limbs feeling heavy and weak. Her body felt heavy, and she could sense a dull ache lingering.

When her eyes fluttered open, first thing she saw was Zoe Nightshade. Zoe's head was lowered, and it appeared she was holding back silent sobs.

"What..." Selene attempted to piece together a sentence. Then, it all crashed down on her—everything that had happened earlier. The image of Bianca vanishing right before her eyes, the man leading her away, and her final words echoing in Selene's mind—it was an honor being your friend. She had been too weak before to comprehend, but now, it all made sense. "Bianca is dead."

Zoe nodded, her head still low.

Selene looked around. They were driving through the desert, under clear blue skies, the sand so bright it hurt to look at. Thalia was at the front with Percy and Grover. At the back, there were only the two of them.

"I saw her."

Zoe locked eyes with her. Tear glistened her eyes and marked tracks on her cheeks. Her braid was all messy, and her hands trembled uncontrollably. In that moment, Zoe seemed as if on the verge of breaking into a million pieces. "What?" Her voice quivered as she spoke.

Selene wasn't much better than Zoe. "I saw her walking away with a man. He was holding her hand." Her voice choked with grief, gasping for air between fits of inconsolable weeping.

Zoe squeezed her eyelids shut, probably in the hope her tears would stop.

Selene looked away. "It's my fault," she said, biting her lip. "I should've done more, I should've... If I tried harder... Maybe Bianca wouldn't..."

Without warning a sharp, stinging sound echoed.

Selene's head snapped to the side and her hand instantly went for her cheek. She looked back at Zoe, eyes widened.

Zoe had just slapped her in the face.

"Stop pitying thyself." Zoe's eyes, swollen and red, bore into Selene's face as the words hung in the air. She wiped the few remaining tears with the fabric of her coat. "It isn't thy fault, but thee should have done more. If grief weighs upon you for Bianca's death, cease thy self-pity and own up your burden. This wasn't thy fault—the next may be."

Selene's cheek throbbed, and she stared at Zoe in shock. The sting of the slap resonated through her, yet Zoe's words cut even deeper. For a moment, she felt a mix of pain, surprise, and a strange realization.