𝐈𝐈

"I was about to ask you whether you don't have any friends willing to do this bullshit with you

"I was about to ask you whether you don't have any friends willing to do this bullshit with you... Then I realized that's why you probably have no friends."

It was the first thing Percy told Selene when they met up on the subway. He wore a Batman costume, with black eyeshadow and all, while Selene had the worst makeshift Robin costume imaginable.

Her skirt was a shiny green, and the top half of the dress was a shiny red, cut low. The sleeves matched the green of the skirt, and there was a black and yellow 'R' patch over the left breast. She also wore a pair of shiny green Robin gauntlets that came halfway up her forearm.

Perhaps Percy was contemplating the questionable quality of her costume, as he stood there, staring at her for a good minute while she approached. Or maybe it was due to it being the first time he saw her with her hair down and a touch of makeup, something one of her sisters from St. Michael's insisted she wear.

"Don't lie, Percy Jackson. I can tell you're absolutely relishing the opportunity to flaunt that Batman cape, at the very least."

Despite it being a Saturday, the subway was packed with commuters and weekend travelers. The usual hustle and bustle of people in casual attire made Percy and Selene, dressed as Batman and Robin, stand out. The crowded subway car had eyes turning toward them, and the usual chatter hushed as people exchanged confused glances.

It was a moment of collective embarrassment as Percy adjusted his Batman cowl and Selene straightened her makeshift Robin cape. They felt like a pair of sore thumbs in a sea of mundane people, earning curious stares and stifled laughter. The realization that Halloween was still a week away only added to the awkwardness.

"It's not that bad." Selene murmured to him.

As soon as Selene uttered those words, the metro made another stop, causing a surge of people to flood into the already packed car. It turned the once relatively comfortable space into a cramped one, where you couldn't breathe too deep without smelling someone's sweaty armpits.

Ladies and gentlemen, stand clear of the closing doors, please, the voice echoed through the speakers. Percy instinctively grabbed onto Selene's cape to ensure they wouldn't be separated in the sea of people.

"Yup. Not bad at all." He murmured back.

They stayed like this for a good fifteen minutes, when they finally reached their station. Selene grabbed Percy's arm and directed him outside. They exited at the Jefferson St. station, in Brooklyn, just a few blocks away from the warehouse.

"Stop treating me like I'm one of your brothers," Percy's voice was low and distant as they were walking through the sea of people.

"My brothers know how to take the subway."

They climbed up the stairs until they reached the streets. The leaves had already changed color, the air was a little crispier, and the city was full of excitement, as always. Although it wasn't much past seven o'clock, they had missed the sunset.