08 | SMOOTH CRIMINAL

"𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦," Barry remarked, puzzled by Rae's sudden change of heart

Rae waved off his concern with a dismissive gesture. "Plans changed temporarily.

"Temporarily? You said you would only join if you got fired—"

"Shushhh don't put that in the air!" She flapped her arms around dramatically, as if warding off any negative vibes.

Barry couldn't hide his bewilderment. "You can't go in the field."

But Rae remained undeterred. "That's fine. I'll be on coms."

Barry's frustration grew as he tried to comprehend Rae's sudden change of heart. "You—why are you so excited for this??"

Rae's grin widened. "Because it's Captain Cold. One of the coolest and hottest—"

Barry interrupted, realizing where she was going with her words. "Wait wait—

"You gotta let me talk to him—"

That's not—" Barry began, but Rae was already on a roll.

"I'm not putting you in, Rae," Barry insisted, his jealousy creeping in as Rae narrowed her eyes at him.

"You're putting your feelings ahead of the job," Rae accused, pointing a finger at him.

Barry denied it vehemently. "No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are," Rae countered confidently. "You forget, I know you."

"Are criminals your type? Because I totally—"

"Don't you start that now Bartholomew."

Barry whined in frustration as Rae teased him further. "Or, are you worried that you're going to have trouble dealing because you'll be too in awe of my voice the entire time," she taunted, causing Barry to sigh and rub his forehead in exasperation.

Caitlin's interruption served as a gentle reminder of their responsibilities. "Uh, guys?" she repeated, a hint of amusement in her tone.

Barry and Rae snapped out of their banter, realizing they had been engrossed in their debate while the rest of the team waited for their attention.

Barry exchanged a sheepish glance with Rae before refocusing on the task at hand. "Right, sorry Caitlin. We got a little sidetracked."

Rae grinned unapologetically. "Blame it on the excitement for the mission."

"Excitement, huh? More like a distraction."

Rae shrugged nonchalantly. "Whatever, now run b*tch run."

"Woah-" Barry began, caught off guard by Rae's sudden shift in tone.

"Hey now-" Caitlin chimed in, about the nickname.