07 | BREAK THE ICE

𝐈𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐬𝐩𝐮𝐧 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, Rae found herself navigating the harsh reality of a world without the comfort of superhuman s...

𝐈𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐬𝐩𝐮𝐧 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, Rae found herself navigating the harsh reality of a world without the comfort of superhuman saviors on the pages of comic books.

An orphan from the start, she faced the stark truth that nobody wanted her. Born an orphan and unwanted by the world around her, Rae crafted her own narrative of self-reliance.

She poured her energy into hard work, earning a spot in a great school and securing a decent-paying job. While fleeting romances came and went, Rae never formed lasting connections, always cautious of letting anyone too close.

Rae's lack of familial bonds drove her to excel in the areas she could control. Fixing problems became her expertise, whether it was renovating her small apartment, straightening out rich men's bank accounts, or simply reheating forgotten cups of coffee. She got used to navigating life's challenges, relying solely on herself for survival.

The concept of a found family, a group of individuals brought together by circumstance to form an unbreakable bond, intrigued her from afar. It seemed like a story reserved for others, not something she could ever attain.

She saw this concept everywhere around her, in her neighbourhood, her office, her shows...

Found family, with its themes of connection, trust, and unconditional support, remained an elusive dream in Rae's world. She believed that being alone was her destined reality, a conviction that led her to push people away to avoid disappointment and the sting of potential hurt. Rae's fatal flaw lay in her reluctance to embrace the possibility of true connection, a flaw she carried like an invisible shield, guarding herself against the vulnerability of forming attachments.

But the universe had granted Rae an opportunity, a chance to rewrite the script of her life, and put her in another script she wasn't a part of.

"Hey, you okay there? You're kind of spacing out."

Barry Allen.

The foil to her guarded nature, Barry Allen, became both a challenge and an opportunity.

"Well when you're telling me things like Iris being crazy enough to jump off a building for you to catch, well I tend to space out. By the way, I would never trust you with that," she remarked, her tone carrying a hint of skepticism.

"That's hurtful."

"Maybe it's because I like to hurt you. Just like how you tried to trampoline your way into the breach face first." She whispered tauntingly as if it was a big secret. It wasn't true of course.

"Kinky," Barry playfully retorted, earning a scandalized scoff from Rae

"Barry Allen!"

"Sorry,sorry —Ow?! Don't hit me!?" Barry's apology came with a cheeky grin