04 | THE START

𝐑𝐚𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐨𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐝 but somehow she managed to screw up that simple task

Barry hasn't been convinced into going to the parade yet-

—and that's a big problem.

He was supposed to be convinced by Iris, while he was fixing up Jitters. Iris was supposed to tell him some motivational speech on how the Flash needs to be thanked by the people even though he thinks he doesn't deserve it, they need a hero—blah blah blah.

Iris was meant to unleash a motivational speech that would make Winston Churchill proud. She was supposed to weave words so inspiring that even the coffee beans at Jitters would stand on end. Something like; "Barry, my dear, reluctant speedster, the city needs you! The Flash isn't just a hero; he's also the reason I get paid. People want to thank him for making Central City safer than a fortress guarded by ninjas and dragons. We need a hero, Barry, and that hero is you!"

Barry B**ch Allen has been slacking off.

Doing what exactly? Why, spending time with his dear reluctant friend/crush!

Great going speedy. Now the city will get destroyed and killed by a Hulk knock off because Barry Allen couldn't go rebuild his favourite coffee shop.

However, thankfully, Rae Graham is merciful to the citizens of Central City (which also includes her now). Which is why she tasked herself into subtly (not) guiding the scarlet speedster into attending his own parade.

"....so uh—the parade is gonna be disaster." Rae says after a long break of a conversation while sipping scolding hot coffee.

Great start Rae.

" Oh. Yeah, I-I don't know, I'm not going to it. I—uh I have work so yeah...." Barry says awkwardly though he's slightly relieved that Rae was the one to converse first.

" I thought the mayor gave some time off for a few hours since it's a big event?" She raised her eyebrows.

" Ah—guess I didn't see the email at work. I'm just so busy and uh—" He cleared his throat and started playing with the napkins nervously. "I mean—personally, I don't really think a parade is necessary. It seems a bit obnoxious no?"

Rae's discerning gaze didn't just register the hesitancy in Barry's eyes; it plunged into the intricate layers of vulnerability and remorse swirling within the depths of those captivating irises.

A faint quiver of exasperation flirted with the fringes of Rae's usually unflappable patience. Entrusted with a singular task, she found herself navigating the complexities of it like a speedster in a labyrinth – a labyrinth she, unfortunately, managed to navigate at less than top speed.

Despite the surface irritation, Rae couldn't ignore the simple longing to ease Barry's inner struggles. It was like a quiet whisper in the background of her emotions, a side of her that wasn't immediately apparent.