4.3

TEENAGE KICKS
Season One : Episode Four
'An Apple Turnover and a Cream Horn'

"I showed you the city walls and they are nothing short of spectacular !"

Lara popped her head through the open doorframe from the hallway to the kitchen, walking in on another of Erin's outbursts.

"Awk if she's not into walls she's not into walls, Erin love. Aw alright Lara ?"

The blonde looked over to her aunty with a small smile and a head nod, pushing her leather jacket off and throwing it on the couch to take up to her room.

"Did you have tea already Lara ?"

"No ma, Michelle has her's later."

Her Ma pointed her in the direction of the stove where she's kept some extra on in case of that exact situation.

Lara pulled a medium white plate out of one of the lower kitchen cupboards, dropping a small amount of cottage pie on it before filling the rest with the mix of microwave veg her ma had let for her, eventually joining the table between her Da and Katya.

"Have you any news, da ?"

And because Erin's bickering wasn't enough, Lara's ma just had to start something else up. The youngest blonde gave a huff before scooping some of the medium-warm mince and potato mixture into her mouth.

"Not really, no."

"Right. Shay Harkham was telling me you were in Duggan's bakery yesterday lunchtime."
The girl's mother pushed at the bit of food left on her own plate, staring at the older man sat on the opposite side of the table with a stare she would usually be giving to her eldest daughter.

"Well that's hardly news."

"Two buns he says you ordered, an appleturn over... and a cream horn."

"A cream horn !"
Lara looked up at the conversation when her Aunt Sarah dropped her fork at the information, the clatter against the porcelain catching her attention.

"Aye, that's not like you Grandda."
Lara kept her little smile between her and her Grandda, him sending a scowl the fifthteen year old's way as she curled the fire her ma was starting.

Her aunty quickly agreed with her, picking up her fork as she did so.
"Sure you couldn't pay you to eat a cream horn !"

"Cream finger it was. Apple turnover and a cream finger"

"Cream horn Shay said"
Mary shut down her father's answer to the accusation immediately, sticking to her point like cement. At the corner of the table, Erin was watching the whole thing unfold with entertained wide eyes, likening that she wasn't in the receiving end of her Ma's argument for once.

"Horns, fingers- who cares."

"Ma cares."
Lara was the only one to noticed the Ukrainian guest's addition to the conversation, shutting her up as quickly as she could so she could invest herself in this argument.

"He swore on it, said he saw it being bagged up."
"And big Shay had eyes like a hawk so he does."

"Shay said when you left Duggan's you turned up Pump Street."
"Pump street !? Who do you know on pump street Da ?"