Chapter 27

Bella POV:

The soft hum of the classroom filled my ears, a comforting melody of pencils scratching against paper and the occasional whisper of students consulting each other on their art projects. I floated around the room, offering words of encouragement and gentle corrections where needed. The warm afternoon light streamed through the windows, casting a serene glow over the room. It was one of those moments that reminded me why I loved teaching—the peaceful, industrious atmosphere, the bright curiosity in the children's eyes, and the tangible sense of creativity in the air.

The children had just finished school and as I reached my desk, the familiar vibration of my phone tucked into the corner of the drawer caught my attention. Glancing at the room and checking that the children had all left, I decided it was safe to take a quick look. The name flashing on the screen made my heart skip a beat: Leah.

"Bels!" Leah's voice came through, tinged with a mix of pain and frustration that was unfamiliar and unsettling.

"Leah, what's wrong?" I asked, my teacher's calm tone instinctively taking over despite the worry that knotted my stomach.

I... I got injured today. My ankle. It's fractured."Leah confessed, her voice cracking ever so slightly.

The words seemed to hang in the air, heavy with implications. My mind raced, thoughts of Leah's dreams, her career, and the hard work she had put in flashing before her eyes. I knew just how much Leah had sacrificed to get where she was, and the idea of her being sidelined by an injury felt like a cruel twist of fate.

"Oh, Leah, I'm so sorry," I managed, my heart aching for my girlfriend. "How bad is it? What did the doctors say?"

"It's a clean fracture, no operation needed, so that's good, I guess," Leah tried to sound optimistic, but I could hear the underlying disappointment. "They're saying it'll be a long recovery, though. I'll have to miss the rest of camp. I'll be out for a while during the season."

My heart sank. I knew this was one of Leah's biggest fears—not just the pain of an injury, but the downtime, the watching from the sidelines, the delay in her career. Leah was not one to sit still easily, and I could only imagine how challenging the next few months would be for her. Never once thinking about myself.

"Leah, listen to me," I said, my voice firm yet gentle, channeling the same reassurance I offered my students when they faced setbacks. "This is just a hurdle, not the end of the race. You're strong, and you're going to get through this. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you'll come back even stronger. We're all here for you, every step of the way."

There was a pause, and I could picture Leah on the other end of the line, trying to digest my words, perhaps nodding silently as she always did when she was deep in thought.

"Thanks, Bella," Leah finally said, her voice steadier. "I really needed to hear that."

Hanging up, I took a deep breath, steadying herself. This was unknown territory for me. I've never known Leah with an injury, I've never know Leah without her daily routines and exercises. The classroom was empty and it felt the walls were closing in. I had to leave - ensure that the house would be ready for when Leah came home this evening.

In the car in the way home, I was thinking. I thought that in order to help
Leah I need to understand that life, much like my classroom, was unpredictable, filled with unexpected calls and unforeseen setbacks. But it was also filled with support, love, and the unbreakable bonds of family. I would be there for Leah, just as I am there for my students, guiding them through their struggles and celebrating their triumphs, every step of the way.

Unfortunately, I had no idea how much of a struggle the next few months would be.

I had been counting down the hours, preparing for Leah's return home with a mix of excitement and apprehension. Leah's early departure from the England camp due to her ankle injury was a blow not just to her professional aspirations but to her spirit. I knew the challenge ahead wasn't just about physical healing but emotional recovery too.