Cape

Chapter 13

I was getting nervous. I had done so many good deeds in hopes of getting my superhero cape. Today President Kick-Butt was supposed to call to tell us if I earned my cape. I wasn't allowed out of my house in case of her calling, but I really wanted Max to be there if/when I was told I would receive my cape, so I made him come over.

I know that receiving a superhero cape is kind of random, but President Kick-Butt told me last week that I had been improving from my childhood and she would call me on this day about my cape. I was so nervous, I was shaking.

"Hey, hey calm down," Max smiled, taking my hands in his. "Everything will go perfect. You'll be told you get your cape, they'll bring it to you tomorrow and you'll have a cape ceremony. You deserve this Mace. You've done amazingly this past year."

I kissed him softtly. "Thank you, Maxy. That means the world to me. You mean the world to me. Thank you for being here."

"Of course, Mace. I wouldn't miss it for the world." He smiled and hugged me.

"And I promise I won't miss yours. Whether it's your hero cape or your villain cape." I cupped his face with my hands. "You know I don't care which you choose."

"Which is why you'll always be my dark empress no matter what." He kissed the top of my head.

The TV suddenly popped up saying, "Incoming Call from: President Kick-Butt." My parents ran down the stairs and quickly answered the call.

"President Kick-Butt! So good to be talking with you today!" Dad smiled brightly.

"Yes, it certainly is a good day today, isn't it Mr. Wonder?" The president of the Hero League replied.

"Sure is." Dad told her. I grinned as I could tell he was forcing a smile through her doddling.

"Is there a reason you called?" Mom asked, playing the innocent card.

"As you know, Crimson Shifter, Mackenzie has been working hard to receive her superhero cape. The council has discussed it, and we've decided-" The screen blacked out.

I held my breath in anticipation. Max squeezed my hands, "No matter what, you're my empress. It can still be how it was like when we were little."
I smiled and squeezed his hand back for trying to reassure me.

"Whoa, sorry. Technical difficulties." President Kick-Butt apologized. "Well, anyway, congratulations Mackenzie Wonder, you will be receiving your superhero cape. Well done. President Kick-Butt, out!"

The president ended the call and my parents cheered and hugged each other.

I turned to Max excitedly. "I did it! I'm getting my cape!"

"I'm so proud of you, baby!" Max exclaimed and kissed me in celebration. I kissed him back.

"Oh my gosh, we have to tell Ronan!" Mom exclaimed. I immediately pulled away from Max.

"I'll call him!" I yelled, whipping out my phone and Face Timed him.

"Hey!" Ronan exclaimed, smiling at me through his camera.

"Hey! You'll never believe what just happened!" I exclaimed.

"Hm..well, you're excited, bouncing-off-the-walls level happy.... It could only be two things....either Max proposed," I shook my head, "or you got your cape!"

I nodded excitedly, smiling widely. "I got my cape!!!!"

He cheered excitedly. "Mace, that's amazing! When're they delivering it?"