Malevolent: 29

The reminder of time was a stressing point. Biting down on my lip, I tried to ignore the nerves which lingered through me and knotted my chest. Brittany looked just as apprehensive, not at the thought of escaping but the same thing that plagued me, the attempt being foiled. Exhaling gently, I could hear the voices through the walls and the open door. Tinker had returned with another victim not long after the arrival and capture of Michelle. Unlike her, they didn't scream or plead, perhaps showing that he was in a far worse condition. The men had been taunting him, both Tex and Tinker making fun of his underwear and making comments about him overall as Michelle sobbed helplessly. They revelled in humiliation and were getting their fill from what I could gather. The conversations were muffled by the sound of her whimpering, the steaming of vegetables in their pans but clear enough that I could make out some of it and come to a clear understanding of what was happening.

The mention of Junior bringing home the 'dark meat' and how he would be receiving a present was enough to make the redhead whimper knowing as I did from experience that nothing that made the family happy was to the same standard of decency or compassion.
"You're okay." I reassured Brittany who seemed to be at a loss of what she should and wish she could do.
Junior's gift seemed to be motivated by Junior being 'out of hand' and at that mention, I closed my eyes hearing  Tinker's mention of Brittany being the likely catalyst, that he believed she had been trying to turn him against the others. To them perhaps, it was the conclusion but part of me could hope, even pray that whatever spark of humanity was embedded in him wasn't entirely snuffed out by the family and years of dishing out cruelty and brutality towards all his victims was starting to haunt him. It seemed a lot however, to ask of him and it was more that Junior was acting out for other reasons. "You're alright."
"He liked that last present you got him...that electronic thingumajig." Tex's voice commented.
"Of course he did." Tink replied confidently, "That's progress, boy. Technology is our friend." I couldn't help but shudder all that the eldest of the Sawyer siblings could do with technology getting steadily more advanced. The trap with the hooks lurking in the kitchen had always been brutal enough to look at let alone when a victim was impaled and trapped on it.
"What do you think of our little lady?"
It was a question we had both heard many times, waiting for the moment that we were replaced by another. It never happened, we weren't that fortunate but it was something that still made my blood run cold. Those who Tex and Junior rejected were nabbed as dirty leftovers by Alfredo who had already taken a personal interest in her.

I focused on Brittany curled up in a ball on the chair, she clamped her hands tightly over her ears, watching me intently in case she missed a sign while doing so to flee. Perhaps we ought to have discussed a signal but as it was, things were still uncertain and that made for a risky move and there were too many flies on the wall. Alfredo himself was still not present and accounted for and the last thing she needed was to get her hopes up as she sleuthed her way out only to come face to face with either. So instead, I did the only thing I could do and shook my head. She was eager to leave and it was no wonder, every second that passed was becoming more exhausting and daunting. The 'maybe' of it all left a bitter taste in my mouth but as it was, Tinker had not deposited his keys in the usual bowl by the door and that was ruling out taking a truck unless she could hotwire.

No, there were too many obstacles at this time.
"Not yet." I told her and myself.
Brittany in turn only nodded to show that she understood and tried to settle back down trying to tune out what was happening in the kitchen and mention of the third victim who would soon be on their way. I was the opposite and sat on the edge of the sofa trying to eavesdrop more for a signal that she could be on her way. I parted my lips ready to speak but no words left me before the heavy sound of a cleaver banging against a chopping board, a sound I knew too well and had become accustomed to.