𝟎𝟐𝟐

SHANIQUE BROOKE [ NIQUE ] 11:09pmMEMPHIS, TENNESSEE📍

11:09pm
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE📍

2020 ( 4 years ago ).....

"I just miss my brother, i haven't seen him ever since I been locked up. That's like..." Nique stared counting with her fingers. "Seven years".

"Like I'm twenty fucking three years old right now. I never had no life. Never graduated, never went to prom, none of that. This shit sucks" Nique sighed.

"Smoking often represents a form of rebellion or escapism. What were you trying to escape, and how did it make you feel?" Dr. Mitchell asked Nique as she sat across from her looking into her eyes while Nique's eyes wandered, not being able to make eye contact.

"Smoking was really my escape. My mom tried to put me in rehab but-" Nique sniffled. "I ran away because I wasn't with that. She found out where I was and when I came back, I was grounded for as long as I can remember. But I still smoked weed" Nique explained.

"But she thought I was some type of addict, that's why I wasn't with that. I wasn't even a addict like that. I literally only smoked weed and drank a little bit of alcohol when I was with my friends." She added.

"Nique, I've heard that you describe yourself as a 'homebody'. Can you help me understand how that preference developed?" Dr. Mitchell tilted her head as she held onto her clipboard waiting for Nique's response.

"Back to my teenage years. My stepfather, he was... difficult. Home wasn't safe; it was filled with so much tension and fear. Sneaking out became my only escape. I didn't enjoy it, but it was the only way to breathe, even for a little while." Nique sat back in her chair.

"So when I finally had freedom to decide, I chose to stay in and find comfort in my own space." She added. "It sounds like your home wasn't a place of comfort initially. How did that affect you?" Dr. Mitchell wondered.

"Exactly. Sneaking out was my attempt to find moments of peace. Now that I have the choice to be home, it's become a sanctuary. I can be comfortable here, and it's a feeling I never really had back then" Nique added.

"So, being a homebody is your way of reclaiming your space and finding that comfort you missed in your earlier years?" Dr. Mitchell was starting to understand a little bit.

"Absolutely. It's about creating a home that I never really had, where I can be at ease and truly myself." Nique confirmed.

____________________________

Present Day.....
"Samirrr!!!!" Nique gave her little brother a huge hug as she walked into the house. "Oh my goodness, how you taller than me?" She looked up at him as she pulled away from the hug.

"Hey Ma!" Nique gave her mom a hug as she saw her walking towards her behind Samir. She stepped inside and they all stood around the kitchen island table. Nique sat down on one of the bar chairs putting her chanel purse down on the table.