🥍 Darren (4)

I grab a handful of frosting and throw it at her face. She gets the angriest look I've ever seen, so I run like my life depends on it. Because if I'm being honest, it kinda does. This isn't gonna be good. "Just wait til I get to ya! I'll be able to kick your butt!" Uh oh.

I wake up feeling strange. Was that a memory? It most definitely was. Such fun times. Those green eyes of hers have only gotten brighter over the years. I sigh to myself. My muddy brown ones could never compare to them. I have to get out of bed and do anything other than think about her. So that's exactly what I do. It's a Saturday morning, which means I have nothing to do. I could hang with the bozos. I could also go to the library on Main Street. I haven't exactly picked up a book in quite a while, especially my Bible. That's something I seriously need to work on. I think that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

✝️

The first thing I see when I walk in is a table and sign, "Prayer Group/Bible Study. Join Anytime!". I meet those very green eyes I was thinking about this morning. I give her a small wave and she motions me over, of course, I immediately walk over and take a seat. "Just in time", she says.
     I look at her Bible that is laid out. Looks like we're studying 1st Corinthians chapter 13. She makes a pun by saying, "Now this is a chapter that I love", and giving everyone a subtle wink and giggling. I find myself smirking at her little joke.

     After the Bible session, I pull her aside. "So you do this every Saturday?"
     "Mhm. Every Saturday at 12 PM."
     I'll definitely keep that in mind. "I might have to start coming then. I've really been slacking in Bible study for the last few years.
     But anyway, I had a dream. Well, actually, it was a memory from about 12 years ago."
     She's got a curious twinkle in her eye now."Oh? Do tell."
    "Well, we were 6 years old again, it was your birthday, and we were chasing each other around with ice cream and cake frosting."
     "No way! I had the same dream!"
     "I wonder if that means something."
     "It very well could. God gives us messages in mysterious ways. This could be one of them. What if he is telling us something about the faith of a child?"
     I watch as she flips through her Bible. "Aha! Here it is. Matthew 18 and 3."
     I lean over her shoulder as she reads.       "'Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'"
     I speak up, "I wonder what this means", and she shrugs.
     "I know there are parts of the Bible that talk about dreams, but I'm not sure about memories."
     I sometimes talk without thinking, and now is one of those times. "Your eyes look forest green under these lights. They make you..hmm..mysterious."
     She just blinks at me. "Did I hear you right?"
     I nod and smile at her. "Sure did. I just blurt things out sometimes, ya know? But hey, it's the truth".
     She goes to biting that lip again. I'm so tempted to pull it from her teeth, but then I stop myself.
     So instead I fold my arms across my chest and cock an eyebrow at her. "What'd I say about going quiet on me?"
     I catch her picking at the polish on her nails. "Sorry."
     "I'm just messing with ya, chill."
     She rolls her eyes and huffs. "It's all you're good for." I flick my finger in between her eyebrows. She does the exact same back.

✝️

     About 10 minutes later we're sat in the big comfy chairs of the library, just simply talking. It's her turn to change the topic. "I've never really talked about this to anyone except God, but to be honest, I'm a little scared".
     I meet her eyes, "about what?"
      "Well, you've seen the state of our world and how it's all lining up to Revelations, right? You know, the Euphrates River, Israel, a few different things about different celebrities, giant projectors to reveal the believers, that sort of stuff. Heck, I even saw a video about a girl paying for her things with her wrist. Well, what I'm scared about is what if Jesus takes us home before I'm able to find the Godly man just for me? Before I can have a family of my own? Before I can pursue the dreams I've been working on for years? I know it's silly to want such fleshly things, but-"

     I cut her off before she starts to panicking. "Hey, it's not silly. Not at all. I know exactly where you're coming from because I worry about that too. I want those same things as well. Hm, well, not the husband part of course." She laughs at that. Ugh, that laugh. Gosh, how I love her laugh. "Ahh, so she does have emotion."
     She slaps my arm, "Shut up." "Now there is the Lena I know." I grin cheesily, innocently even, at her. I know deep down, she likes the nickname. There's no way she doesn't.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Heyyyy! I know, another short-ish chapter. If you have any suggestions, please give em to me. I gladly take any and all constructive criticism.
I will say that I do relate to Helena and her being scared. I'm sure a lot of us do.
Welp, til next time! ✌🏻