16- An Unexpected Mission

Arni woke up refreshed and excited even before her alarm clock went off. Last evening, she has been extremely nervous about this day just like every other day. In the past, she had needed Kabir to console her for atleast more than two hours on the phone and then scold her to go to bed. However, each and every time she drifted off to a restless sleep.

But this time was different. Her fear was different . And most importantly,her father was  different. What wrecked her more was not the fear of performance but the urge of performing the best in front of her father. She wanted to make him proud and thus, there was no scope for errors. However, perfection horrified her.

Last night, Arjun was quick to notice her restlessness. Her usual chirpy and chatty self had morphed into a quiet and distant being. 

Arjun- "Kya hua?"

Arni silently shook her head. She didn't want her papa to get the impression that she was nervous about the next day.

Arjun- "Arni."

Arnika sighed. She knew that tone well!

Arni- "Kal performance hai...."

Arjun smiled. That was some necessary nervousness before an event.

Arjun- "So you are not prepared?"

Arni frowned- "I am!"

Arjun- "Ah! You don't remember your steps for sure."

Arni- "I do, papa! Stop it."

Arjun held back his laugh- "Haww! Don't tell me you are scared!"

Arni- "No I am not! I am gonna win tomorrow, okay!"

Arjun finally smiled- "Then why are you overthinking. Just keep your last sentence in mind and you'll do your best."

Arni smiled as she thought about last evening. That was definitely different from her chachu's way but effective, nonetheless!

Arni- "Program 2 baje start hoga."

Arjun- "Teri performance kitne baje hogi?"

Arni- "Well according to the flow... around 3 baje. But aap 2 baje hi pahuch jaana! Because mujhe school walo pe bilkul bharosa nahi hai."

Arjun smiled- "Fine. Ja ab and all the best. Remember haarna ya jeetna is always secondary. Just give your best,hmm?"

Arni nodded her head with a smile. She gave him a small peck on his cheek and ran out of the car. But she turned back and walked towards the car.

Arni- "Mera ek accha sa video bana lena,okay?"

Arjun gave her a mock salute and gestured her to go. He looked at her retreating back with a small smile. Once she was out of sight, he drove off to the ETF headquarters. He'll just complete some important paperworks and take the day off.

He shook his head as he realised that he had literally taken more leaves in this month as compared to the last many years. Courtesy of his little princess. But he couldn't complain because it would be a lie to say that he didn't love bunking with her.

As he entered the headquarters, the grave silence that reigned the entire building caught his attention. The office was always hustling and bustling with discussions and chatters this early in the morning. The scene gave him peculiar vibes.

"Rawte." Sameer's voice resonated in the entire lounge. The silence could be cut through a knife.

Arjun gave him a questioning look.

"Conference room." He just said two words mad headed towards the room. Arjun followed him wordlessly. He was not having a good feeling about this. 

He scanned the screen in front of him. It was JNPA, one of the major ports of Mumbai.