5- Regret and Longing

That evening, Arjun sat in his cabin, leaning back on the chair with closed eyes. The events of last night were playing in his mind. Arni had offered to feed him and he....He was feeling guilty. He couldn't help but think of the past memory again and again.

6 years ago

Arjun was sitting on the dining table glaring at Arni who was defiantly glaring back at him. He was home today while Roshni had went to the court for some important proceedings. So naturally, he was looking after Arni today and the little brat was throwing all sorts of tantrums. Arjun was at his wit's end by now.

Arjun- "For the last time, Arni! Eat.your.porridge."

Arni shook her head- "Powige ewwy. Arni no eat."

Arjun narrowed his eyes and picked her up from her high chair. He gave her a stern look in hopes of scaring her into eating but no such luck. The little troublemaker knew ver well when she was in trouble and when she was not.

She blew a raspberry making Arjun chuckle at her antics. He kissed her cheek and sat her on his lap. "Papa ki princess papa ki baat manegi na? Come on. Open your mouth, mera baccha."

Arni opened her mouth and Arjun put a spoonful of porridge in it. "Mmm. Yum Yum!" Arni said while eating.

Arjun nodded. "Very yum yum. Abhi we'll finish it."

He again forwarded the spoon. But Arni reached out for the spoon. Arjun let her have it. Perhaps his baby was trying to be independent. But he was surprised when she forwarded the spoon towards him. "Your tun." she said cutely.

Arjun smiled at her and opened his mouth. Even though his daughter's taste buds seemed objectionable when he tasted it yet he smiled for her sake.

Arjun opened his eyes. What he had done was wrong on so many levels. Not only he had hurt her but he also bordered to verbal abuse with the way he reacted. This was not acceptable. He felt like a monster. He had barely slept last night. The fact that he had hurt his child so badly had taken a toll over him. His guilt over the situation did not allow him to even look at her. The sole reason why he left early in the morning.

But now his conscience was making its displeasure known. He knew he had to make amends for his behaviour. He needed to go home now. He got up and walked out of the his cabin.

Sameer- "Rawte! Kaha ja rahe ho?"

Arjun shortly- "Kaam kya hai, Rathod?"

Sameer- "IG sir aaye hue hai. Meri cabin me  hai. Chalo, unhe tumse milna hai."

Arjun sighed. Arni wasn't going anywhere, was she? She can wait for a few more minutes.

IG- "Aao Arjun."

Arjun- "Jai Hind sir!"

The IG nodded and asked Arjun to sit. He forwarded a file to Arjun. As Arjun went through the contents of the file, his eyes flickered. Anger on his face and hope in his eyes.

It was the much awaited case of his life. The undercovers had gotten a lead on Sikandar. The case would be transferred to ETF within this very month once the source is confirmed.

Arjun- "Mujhe Panji Jana hoga sir. I'll myself verify this source."

IG shook his head- "Nahi Arjun. Maine tumhe ye isiliye bataya because I wanted you to be ready. Tum aisi koi impulsiveness nahi dikhaoge. Don't make this personal, Arjun."

Arjun- "This is personal, sir. Uss Sikandar ko maarna hi mere jeevan ka ek Matra lakshya hai. Aur Mai apna lakshya pura karke rahunga." With that he got up.