9- Being Her Father

A/N

Thank you for your votes and comments on last chapter. Means a lot to me. ☺️🤍

Enjoy the next chapter!

______________________________________________________________________

Arjun was sitting on the bed leaning against the headrest. The slow ticking of the clock against the backdrop of his solemn life was calming yet nerve-wrecking. The pause between each tick was torturous yet the sound was illustrious. The periodicity of the sound held its own melody.

Beginning from square one and ending at the beginning was the circle of life. With each passing second, he was reminded of the purpose of his life and at the end , the purpose lingered. But he knew, that one day the purpose will edge away. And that distinction would mark the point of closure of this circle.

His seamless musings were interrupted by a loud "Papaaaaaa"

He stood up straight and his instincts stiffened his body. Before he could get up, the door burst open and a panting Arni walked in.

Arjun scanned her from head to toe and asked concerned-

"What's wrong?'

Arni- "Everything!" She huffed.

Arjun raised his eyebrow- "Elaborate."

Arni- "Kal Tuesday hai."

Arjun with a pensive look- "Har hafte aata hai. What's new?"

Arni roller her eyes. Her father's sarcasm surfaced at the most torturous moments. But then her inner voice reminded her that if that was true then her entire life would be the literal definition of torture. Her self- introspecting thoughts were broken by a deep voice and an even bigger urge for action.

Arjun- "I am waiting, Arnika."

Arni- "Kal English project submit karna hai and I don't have the materials!" And there goes nothing!

She glanced at Arjun who had an annoyed look on his face once he glanced at the clock that much to her dismay was displaying a large 9 in the night. Perhaps, she should replace that nothing with everything?

Arjun sternly- "When were you informed about that?"

Arni chewing on her bottom lip-
"Last Saturday" Liar! Last Monday!

Silence. A weapon so powerful that it could terrorize an entire city. That was all she got. For the next 3 minutes. She didn't dare utter a syllable while her father was practically drilling her body with his eyes.

Arjun- "Will it add on to your final result?"

Arni nodded wordlessly.

Arjun snapped- "Words!"

Arni flinched. She had successfully managed to piss him off for what felt like the 900th time in her 9 year long life.

Arni- "Yes."

Arjun- "Go out of the house--"

Arni cutting him off- "Aap..aap itni choti si baat ke liye mujhe Ghar se nahi nikal sakte!" She gasped, "Are you disowning me?"

Arjun snapped- "Don't interrupt me! Go out and wait for me! I'll get the car keys."

Arni let out a small sigh of relief and turned to go but then stopped. She turned to him.

Arni- "How about your bike keys? I mean...you can always give me a ride on your bike, you know."

Testing her luck was her favourite pass time. An activity that successfully managed to land her in trouble. Every single time. Because much to her rotten luck, her luck was ROTTEN.