twenty six

"psst, tanny, brooke, are you guys awake?"

"mom, i'm awake. but be quiet, please. brooke is asleep."

"she's asleep? how long has she been out for?"

"since the middle of the movie, mom."

"oh, i see... so then she's been asleep on your lap, for the past hour or so right then?"

"n-no. she first was resting her head on my shoulder, but then she was starting to fall forward. so i placed her head on my lap."

"aww! tanny, that's just so adorable. you didn't even push her off of you!"

"yeah, so?"

"tanny. you like brooke, don't you?"

"what! mom, no! brooke and i are only friends! leave us both out of your weird mind."

"alright, alright. well i'll just leave you two sleepy heads alone. by the way, i came in here to let you know that i was going to be leaving for work soon. so if you need anything, you know what my number is and you know what to do."

"alright mom."

"alright, i'm going to head out now. have fun at home tanny. be safe, and all that fun."

"bye mom."

.

.

.

.

.

.

"you know, brooke, you're a lot of work to deal with. i don't know why i'm even dealing with you, in the first place."

"hm. what does my mom even see in you?"

.

.

.

"....i guess you're sort of cute when you're not awake."

"nope! tanner, cut it out man! she's not cute, alright. she's just this crazy, weird, sort of cute girl when she's asleep and sort of adorable when she's dorking out with star wars. and sort of pretty when she's smiling and laughing. also, her hair smells pretty nice. like coconut."

.

.

.

"agh! cut it out man! she's not cute! she's just this girl, in your school, who you seem to not be able to want to be friends with..."

.

.

.

"ugh. i'm screwed."