Chapter 31

Anzide's apartment was small. As much as I'd like to say that he picked it because it was this way, I knew that I couldn't. He didn't want to live in a small place, and I knew that because he had made a few comments about the cramped conditions of the caravan. The progression of our relationship had become stagnant, and I think Anzide blamed it on where we lived. At the moment, he had to accept it like everyone else but I think that if he had the choice, this place would be a lot bigger.

When he spoke of this place, Anzide said that he was told that he was being given a studio apartment. This was his home, and that's all that was on offer. As a Nephilim, he was told he was the lowest of the low, and to be given something was in itself remarkable. It just made my blood boil with anger.

Anzide wasn't the only one in this situation. When I looked across the road to the other apartments, I could see what appeared to be an almost mirror image of this place. A small studio apartment that, while functional, was not enough. It was also one of many buildings that were nothing but a repetitive view. Bland, boring, demoralizing. I could see through the façade of this place. It was vile, and it was going to change.

They made it seem as if it was too much to create a larger space. Like they didn't have the land for it. In the distance, I could see a lot of vacant land. There was no reason for a small apartment. It was nothing but an excuse for appalling behavior.

Mindful of his mood, I kept a smile on my face as I glanced around the areas I could see. To my right was a galley kitchen, and to my left was the door to the bathroom. Opposite the kitchen was the living room and the only thing separating it and the bedroom was a thin screen.

Walking to the far side of the room, I looked out the window at the buildings that were on the verge of crumbling. This was going to change. There was no way that I was going to let this continue to be what they lived in. This was a disgrace, and every single eternal being in the portal was to blame. And yes, I included my father and Mother in this. They did nothing. Everyone would know what this place was like and they ignored it. They don't care and it was a crying shame.

I could be positive easily. The place was clean, it looked sturdy, and it wasn't cluttered. I wasn't overwhelmed, even if I was annoyed. No, I wasn't annoyed. I was angry. Hiding it was the only option at the moment.

I turned, only to find Anzide watching me with a huge grin.

"Go on, say it."

"Say what?"

"That it's tiny, or it's terrible that I was made to live here."

"Well, it is terrible that they forced you to live in a place rather than letting you pick."

"I was given a choice of locations."

Turning me back to the window, Anzide pointed to the view beyond the buildings opposite. There was a mountain that, while it looked dark and ominous, was rather pretty against the ghoulish red.

"I picked this place because of that view. As a single man, I had to go into a studio apartment. I know it's not big, and if we're made to stay in this land, then we will end up in one of the houses, so it won't always be so cramped."

I shrugged with mild indifference. There was no choice in the decision, even if Anzide tried to sugarcoat it.

"I've lived in worse. At least you don't have cockroaches to keep you company at night."

"True. Now, are we talking about ridiculously small apartments and pet cockroaches, or are we utilizing our time alone wisely?"

I hummed a soft chuckle as I dragged Anzide closer. He complied, pushing me against the wall. My moan was muffled by the intense kiss. Removing clothes from each other as we did the awkward walk to the bed created a trail from the window to the bed.