Chapter 6

Brad emerged from the administration office as Karina, Anzide and I turned into the main corridor. I knew that he was coming here to discuss the offer with James, but I thought he would have left it a little later than this. James said he would be working until six p.m. tonight, so there was no rush.

Still, it was done, and I was grateful that I didn't have to go into the office again. It was beginning to appear as if I was a delinquent or possibly a tattletale. Either way, it wasn't a good look for the new girl to repeatedly go to the office.

Brad waited for us to approach, then gave me a look. The be polite look.

"This is my uncle Brad. Brad, this is Karina. Oh look, your mother is here too."

Karina turned to see her mother walking in the main doors. She looked like she'd just finished work. Dressed in a uniform, looking a little wrung out.

"That's well-timed," Brad said as he turned.

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Curiously convenient.

Silence soon hit him. Karina and I exchanged glances. Why? Brad could not stop looking at Nora.

"Are we about to become cousins?" she whispered.

"Maybe." I returned.

I don't think that I could have said a better thing to Karina. She excitedly clapped while remaining subdued enough to not draw attention to herself. Even I found myself smiling. It was from Karina's quiet outburst of happiness, but it was a smile nonetheless.

"Hello, Evie."

"Uh, hi, Nora. This is my uncle Brad. Brad, this is Nora, Karina's mother."

As they began to talk and walk to the main doors, I turned back to see James watching through the glass panel. I tilted my head with raised eyebrows. He smiled with a shrug, then walked away.

"He totally planned this," I muttered to Anzide.

"Yep. Demons will do that. They like to live in a perfect world or as perfect as they can get it. He's got the vampire leader in his pocket, and he's doing everything he can to ensure that she stays there."

He could see the concern on my face.

"It's fine. James is not an issue."

"You know it's really weird to see you talking to no one, right?" Karina asked.

I nodded. "It's weird knowing that no one else will see him. I have to remember not to do a lot of things. Sometimes, he moves through walls, but there are times when he doesn't."

"Physical limitations," Anzide offered. "Coupled with how tired I am, how much energy I have exerted."

"Well, there you go."

Karina giggled, glancing at the void of nothing where Anzide's voice came from.

We began to follow Brad and Nora out of the building. I didn't want to catch up to them. The risk of hearing Brad put his moves out into the world was too much for me.

"You know, if they get together, you guys might move in. There's plenty of room,"

"We can't, unfortunately," I interrupted. "Well, I can't because I have to stay at the coven property, but Brad could. Although, I doubt he would."

"If it means getting laid, he might." Anzide offered.

"Yeah, but where does that leave me?" Karina muttered petulantly. "They're hooking up. You two need privacy, and little old me will be sitting on the front step trying to get my homework done."