Chapter 13

Stepping beyond the fence line was always done with trepidation. Sometimes, it would only be minor. Other times, it would be large. Leaving the safety of the property after seeing what the vampires would do to us was not easy. When I watched Niko and Brad leave to feed, I always worried. Fear would consume me that the vampires would try to kill Niko again.

Anzide suggested a walk through the forest to calm my mind before making another attempt to reach the portal by myself. Mother was impatient, and I was taking too long. Drastic measures would be taken if I didn't improve. So, this was Anzide's answer.

Shade lowered the temperature. I knew it would be cooler, but there was a chill that warranted at least a light cardigan or jacket. I'd left the caravan, not thinking about it. It was a foolish move, and now I paid the price for it.

Anzide held my hand as we walked through the vegetation. We were off the track for a few steps but soon turned onto another path.

It was nice to get away from the constricting caravan. The thought of everyone being trapped in the caravan just made my mind spiral out of control. It was my fault. Sure, things were getting out of hand, but I let the emotions take control. I should have remembered that it was my emotions that caused Andross to burn.

"Maybe we should try and find a second caravan."

Anzide stopped and looked at me. I suppose that my random statement was confusing, given that I was supposed to be relaxing and clearing my mind.

"It's a little crowded," I muttered.

"I know, but I don't think that you're going to find another one in this town. Even if one could be purchased, I think you might get outvoted. What brought this on? Why is the marquee not enough?"

"It's hot. Soon, it's going to be cold. We wouldn't be in this nightmare if I could control myself. The shed is so full of furniture that it's about to explode. Then there's all the stuff still sitting on the lawn. You know it's going to start raining again really soon, right?"

Anzide sighed, pulling me into his arms.

"Don't worry about the furniture. I have it on good authority that someone wanted to replace a lot of things anyway. What's gone into the shed are the things that have been agreed would be kept, and the items on the lawn are things that are not wanted. Trust me when I say that those who you are most concerned about are, in fact, the least worried about those things."

Leaning back, I looked up at Anzide.

"You worry needlessly."

"Promise?"

"Absolutely."

"Well, okay then. If you're wrong, you'll be in trouble."

Anzide chuckled, then took my hand again.

Walking through the forest was an odd kind of relaxation. The sunlight filtered through the canopy like gold rays, giving it a magical vibe. It was a mixture of varied-sized trees, deciduous and evergreen. I'd learned that from Niko.

Inhaling deeply, I drew in the divine scent of the pine trees. It was always going to be the marker of this place and this time in my life. The incredible memory of this place and the family that I'd been given.

Stopping, I looked to my right. I could feel something. Almost like I was being drawn to the witch's ring. I'd never felt anything like it before, and I was curious and anxious.

The ring was like a consuming vice around me. Vines wrapped around me, slithering over my skin and creeping higher. Constricting me until it covered me entirely.