Chapter 16

Once the marquee was set up, we quickly installed the air conditioning unit. The caravan was moved into place, and in the remaining area, flooring was installed.

It was long, consuming most of the width of the property. The reality of the situation was that it was the perfect size. We had space to move around in, the caravan was put at one end, and we even created a sectioned-off area for me to practice entering the portal.

It wasn't a perfect area, but it was enough. Niko was able to move outside of the caravan during daylight hours. Even the area that was shielded had a leisurely feel to it and, thankfully, didn't seem to constrict. We had to be mindful of the workers who had started the clean-up and reconstruction, so an area was created. It was a walled-off section that shielded the view of the caravan from the only entrance into the marquee. We also ensured that the walls would not fall down or blow away. I think Brad went a little crazy when he purchased extra pegs and rope. This thing was not moving.

The area was large, and I knew that it would benefit Niko a lot more than what he was ready to admit. He didn't hit his head on the ceiling of the caravan, but it was close. He always bent over when walking out of the bathroom and the back bedroom area. Like always, Niko said it was fine and that he didn't mind the situation and everything was okay. I didn't see it that way, and every time I saw him sitting at the dining table, I saw the constricting walls that seemed to creep closer each day that passed us by.

As much as the caravan was small, it wasn't that bad. I was surprised that Henry was so willing to give it away, to be honest. I'm sure that if Brad couldn't find anyone to give it to, he'd return it to Henry. And, it would be returned in a better condition than what we received it.

When the workers weren't here, and we didn't have to worry about Henry walking into the marquee to discuss something with us, Niko had the freedom to walk anywhere within it. The bonus was that all the unwanted furniture had been brought into the marquee, creating pockets of areas and giving it a more homely vibe.

The parts of the material walls that could be opened to create windows were tied down and covered with fabric. Anzide pulled on all of the ropes and pegs to ensure that it was strong enough to withstand a heavy wind.

"You know, this is large enough to create rooms."

I grinned and waggled my eyebrows at Anzide.

"That's true. I vote that you suggest it to your family and see what they say while remembering that it's just one large room, and no amount of being quiet will hide what we're doing."

I huffed and closed my eyes again.

"Okay, going in now."

"Good luck. Remember to concentrate, remember everything you've been taught. I'll be waiting for you."

This was it. My last chance at doing this with Anzide's help. As much as I was curious about my father, I didn't want to know him. The past burned holes in my heart, a pain that I wasn't sure could ever be repaired. If I didn't get this right, there would be no choice. He would be forced to enter my life and teach me what Anzide could not. There was also the whisper in my mind that if I failed, Anzide would blame himself. I didn't want that. If anything, I had to succeed so that he wouldn't try to lay blame.

Darkness shrouded me. As I opened my eyes, I felt the cool veil brush over my arms. The fog had descended. The murky view offered nothing. It was like Mother had ramped up the fog just to push me to the limit. I'm sure she meant well, but it was a pain in the backside.

Focusing my mind, I urged the boat to turn and move. I could not feel Anzide's presence, and it was disarming for me. He was my beacon, and it was like he wasn't here even though he said that he would be waiting. No matter where I searched, I could not find him or the island. I was lost and morose thoughts began to consume and dominate. The boat moved, but I knew it was floating aimlessly. I was failing despite the focus I held.