Chapter 23

The hammock had been set up under the trees, and when we returned from the portal, I climbed in and enjoyed the cool afternoon. It wasn't at all planned, but I fell asleep. When I woke up, the sun was setting which was a little disappointing. As much as I've slept, it felt like I'd been up for days. It wasn't a good thing and I knew that it could be problematic if Drakkus decided that he wanted to end the war right now.

Anzide was sitting on an outdoor chair. When he saw me struggling to sit up on the hammock, he rose to his feet and helped me.

"You were out for a while. Carsten asked me to tell you to find him when you woke up."

I nodded and went in search of my father. He was talking to Brad at the house. The frame was up, and it was beginning to look a lot better.

When Brad saw me, he gave me a smile and returned to the marquee. Carsten waited for me.

I walked into the newly forming house, realizing that Anzide was not with me. I guess that Carsten must have asked for a private conversation.

His hands were behind his back as we took a slow walk through what had been the dining room.

"Evelyn, I asked to speak with you in private about something that concerns me. I know that you put in a great effort today, and I must say that I am not alone in how proud I am about how far you've progressed. It may please you to know that there is a waiting list for those who want to see you in the sparring room."

I smiled, though I felt worried about what was concerning him.

"Lethargy is common in those who attempt spell attacks. It is less common in those who are able to access the portal because to do that, they are a strong person, and spell attacks are not nearly as draining. I try not to pry, Evelyn, but when I see you emerge from the portal and almost collapse into the hammock, I become concerned. When I first arrived, you said that you were weak from entering the gate. You hadn't entered the portal but you weren't far off it which meant that you should have been stronger than you were."

"So, what's wrong with me then?"

Carsten's mouth opened as he looked at me, but all that he managed was a sigh. He grimaced and turned to walk through to what was the lounge room.

"You also said that you wanted to gain information about adrenaline. There is nothing about spikes and dips, sudden drop-offs, or anything of that nature. However, there was information about vomiting."

He gave me an uneasy smile.

"Evelyn, I think you might be pregnant."

I felt winded, gripping the frame as if I was going to fall down from the shock. It was like I could feel the blood draining from my face.

"I can't be," I whispered, leaning against the wooden frame. "I've got to finish school and the war. I can't be pregnant and fighting off Drakkus as well."

"Of course you can. Why on Earth would you think that you can't do any of those things just because you are pregnant?"

"But I might not be."

"The chances of that are slim. With that in mind, I purchased a test for you. It is in your school bag, as I suggest you conduct it away from this place."

"Why?"

He shrugged.

"More private, less eyes upon you when you emerge. It is up to you. If you'd like to take it now, I can easily retrieve it and put it in your pocket. I will even distract the others while you're busy."

I nodded. Gripping my stomach, I felt queasy. Carsten saw the uneasiness and gripped my shoulder.

"Evelyn, no matter what happens, you will cope. You are strong and resilient. If that's not enough to ease the thoughts in your mind, then consider the family around you. They will not falter. They will stand beside you as you walk down this path. All of us will."