Chapter 14

I reached the portal in my usual time, which was reasonable, according to Anzide. The boat ride, however, was still my downfall. To be fair, I'd lessened the time in which it took me to reach land but it still wasn't good enough.

Mother silently shook her head and walked away. Anzide looked at me, then at Mother. He chased after her, and even though they were some distance from me, I could still hear everything. It was like she wanted me to know. Maybe Mother thought it would help me improve if I realized where I was failing. I knew, though. I understood that there was something wrong with my ability to guide the boat quickly and efficiently.

"You're wasting time, Anzide."

"She doesn't want to know her father. Just give Evie a couple more days."

"No, on both counts. Phoenix always knows their creators, regardless of the situation surrounding the conception. The creators are the ones that guide them in the path to the portal. It is their job to instruct their young in the ways of this world. You've gotten her far, be proud of your efforts, and do not be so harsh on yourself or Evelyn. You are young, Anzide. You are not meant to be a teacher at such a tender age. It is done. The creator will be sent to assist."

"Wait," I begged, stepping closer. "Anzide said that I had two more days."

"You've had weeks. What difference would it make when your improvement has been limited?"

"Well, maybe I work well under pressure."

"This deadline has been looming, and you have been fully aware of it. I see no reason as to why it or anything will change enough to make me agree to the upgrade of your status."

Mother stared at me.

"Own your failings, but understand that you are young and were not raised in this world. You can't be blamed for not understanding the way that this world works because every single eternal that has been created, was done so in this world. You are the only one who was not, and now you suffer for it. This is not the end of the path, Evelyn. It is just the beginning. You tried, and you have accomplished a lot in such a short amount of time. Time is not on your side, and that is why we have ruled that you must complete your training with your father."

When I looked at Anzide, he smiled softly and an eyebrow raised, one that Mother would not have seen. He was telling me to get my inner Evie out and let her loose, just like I had with the Nephilim and Drakkus.

"I can own my failings, as you say, but I was told that I still had time to get this done, and now you're telling me that it's not happening. I was granted the time until two days from now, and you will honor that."

Mother tilted her head. It was hard to see it, but in the corner of her lips was the tiniest smirk.

"Oh, I can honor it, but you will not like my terms."

She inhaled sharply, and for a moment, her body straightened. Leaning on the tall staff, Mother looked at me with pure amusement. Clearly, she thought that I would not like whatever she was concocting.

"So be it, Phoenix. You are permitted to make one more attempt tomorrow, thus completely ending your remaining two days. After that, we will send your creator to take over the instruction, regardless of whether his influence is welcomed or not."

Mother turned and began to walk away.

"Had I thought that I would have to put up with another, I would have banned your father from walking the Earth. So much like him."

Anzide smiled at me, and then a frown quickly formed. He chased after the hobbling woman who was rather fast on her feet. After a few words, Anzide returned to me.