Chapter 37

Tom was more than ready to hand over the horses when we arrived to pick them up. They were standing outside with the saddles on, impatiently stamping their hooves in the dry dirt that made up the front area of his house. I walk right up to Carla, Tom handing over the reins readily, and even offering to give me a boost into the saddle.

"I'm fine." I told him, putting one foot in the stirrup, and jumping up. For someone a few hundred years out of practice, that wasn't too bad. I think with a grin, leaning down a patting Carla's long neck affectionately, she snorts, tossing her mane and whipping her long tail to smack my leg. 

"May I ask where you're going?" Says Tom, watching me from the ground, and I look down at him, surprised. "Just for distance reference, the horses shouldn't go too far a day." He says hurriedly, and I relax somewhat, but don't let my guard down.

"We won't push them too far, don't worry." Len pipes in, already settled in on Zed.

I nod, "I'm sure we'll be fine, but it is nice you're concerned." I give Carla a gentle prod with my heel, prompting her to start moving, and frown when she stays in place, chewing on some grass at her feet. Tom lets out a grumble, and smacks her on the rump, starting her forwards. Zed and Len follow a few seconds later with no problems. Tom looks mildly frustrated at my dodging of the question, but he lets the matter go, and waves grudgingly.

"Safe travels!" He calls, and we wave back, before continuing on down the road. Tom disappears into the stable, talking to Gus, and I watch over my shoulder as Gus leads the beautiful sleek black horse from earlier out of the stable, Wiccet, I think he called him. I watch him brush Wiccet's fur until we've gone down the hill far enough that I can't see them anymore, right before they're out of view however, I see Tom appear out of the stables with a saddle.

Why would he be bringing out a saddle for Wiccet if he wasn't about to ride him? Gus said he didn't ride anymore. I frown. Strange.

Maybe Gus is getting to ride him. I think, That's probably it. The boy probably needs a horse of his own I guess, and who better than the best horse on the farm, the one his Uncle can't bear to sell, but can't ride anymore.

I turn back around, suspicion still in the back of my mind, but I shove it down, content to just ride Carla and Zed with Len in silence. The only sounds come from the horses, the creaks of the saddles, snuffs, snorts, and thuds of their hooves on dirt. In front of us, the road stretches into the tall grasses again, as far as I can see anyways.

"Do you even know where we're going?" I ask, looking at Len. I assume he knows where the army went anyways, or at least I hope.

"Well, we're going to the main Underground base, where they would have retreated to after that night when, we, uh," Len hesitates.

"Lost Leila." I fill in for him twirling the bracelet on my wrist to calm my nerves at the thought. We're getting her back.

"Right," Len says, seeming relieved he didn't have to mention it himself. "I've only been there once, for the meeting about the 'Rogue Genie'," He grins, "You, and even then I only went to the council's secret compound, most people don't know about it, as they like to operate in the background to keep their identity's a secret, but they conduct matters there, and I feel like if we show up there, the rest should work out after that,"

I frown. "What's going to happen when we get there Len?" I ask, "Leila wanted me to join the council, but I'm not sure that's what I want, and you..."

"I kept my powers from a secret from them for a long time," Len says with a frown. "But now that I've gotten over the memory of Angel, and all those other powers I have pushed down for so long are back, I don't know if I'll be able to hide them from the council anymore. They'll be surprised for sure, and I'll have to tell them everything." Len looked to me, "You're okay with that right?"