Chapter 40

The woods were dark that night. Peaceful. They helped calm the raging fire inside, the one that threatened to consume her thoughts and free will. 

It's her fault. All her fault. The thought echoed around her mind, fueling the anger inside. 

She's gone. Said another thought, dousing the fire to embers as sadness threatened to take control. To make her curl into a ball and cry until dawn. 

She couldn't let that happen, if anyone found her curled up in a ball like that, nobody would follow her. Nobody would free them. 

So she ran. 

She ran as far as her legs would take her, bypassing their land, and going beyond. Where nobody could see her. When she finally collapsed, her chest heaving and hair wild, she cried. She cried for the friend that she lost, the one who would never come back. They never did. 

When she finally stopped, all that was left was the anger. It's her fault. She clutched the grass, feeling it smolder under her fingers. Her fault. 

She stands, the grass and shrubbery around her feet nothing more than a ring of ash now, still smoldering. 

In front of her stands a man, more specifically, the man. The one who stood for everything that she hated. The one she had fought for so long. The one that had taken her. 

She lunges forwards, taking a swing at him, her fist engulfed in flame. He simply steps back, avoiding the blow with ease. "Give her back!" She yells, swinging again. 

He doesn't move this time, instead raising a hand, and grabbing her's mid-swing. Her eyes go wide, taking in the limb, the most skin anyone had ever seen of the cloaked man. 

But he was no man. 

The nails were long and slender, someone had taken care and time to file them down, to fashion them into pointed tips at the ends. The fingers were soft and thin, lacking the stronger thicker build of a man's. She narrows her eyes, "Who are you." She whispers, daring them to answer. 

"I have one hundred archers stationed around us, ready to shoot if you take another swing at me."  they say, ignoring her question, but their voice was still neutral, not pointing to either gender. "I came to negotiate." 

"I don't negotiate with people like you." She snarls, yanking her arm back. 

"Not even for the chance to save your friend?" 

She pauses, and the figure smiles under their hood, knowing they had her hooked, moonlight glistening on the slightest bit, of red lipstick. 

"I'm proposing a trade." They say, holding up a hand, a battered black lamp resting in their palm. She shoots towards it, but they pull back just as fast, holding it out of her reach. "Ah ah now, I said trade, not a gift." 

"What do you want?" She asks, her eyes glued to the metal, not daring to leave it, lest it; and the person trapped inside disappear from her again. 

"I want the other girl. The other genie. This one was..." They shrug, as if the life inside the lamp were a product they had bought at a secondhand market. "Not up to my expectations. However, the other one? She is said to have so much more. I expect she takes more after her Father. And he lasted so, so long." 

"A life for a life..." She whispers, looking at the beat up lamp, then blinks, stepping back suddenly, recoiling from the venom in her own thoughts. "No. I can't." 

"You know that nobody ever escapes my grasp." They drawl. "I'll have her eventually. This will just endure that you get your friend as well, it'll be much more time efficient for my plans. Trust me." She still looks uncertain, and they let out a sigh. "It's her fault anyways. I was always there to capture her. This one just got in the way." 

Her fault...

"If you don't want to trade, then I guess I'll just continue on with this one," They shrug. "Although I plan to start again tonight, and if that happens, she'll not make it to the end of the week." They turn, headed away from her and her circle of ashes. 

Her fault... It's only fair... I need her back... 

"I'll do it." 

They freeze, a smile spreading over their face under the hood; to show perfect white teeth. "You'll get me the other one?" 

"Yes." She steels her heart, trying not to think of what she'll say when she finds out how her sister had been taken. "I'll get her to you. Just leave Leila alone." 

"I'll give you one week." 

"I need longer. They'll be suspicious. A month at least." 

"A month then." The figure tucks the lamp back into their cloak, and her eyes watch it hungrily. Don't worry. I'll save you. 

"But a second later, and I move on with my plans. No matter how close you are." Says the figure. They snap their fingers, and shadowed figures in black jump from the trees, landing on her and holding back her arms and legs. 

"H-hey! We have a deal!" She cries, struggling against her assailants, unable to summon her fire, only sparks fizzling at her fingers in response to the distress. 

"We do. But I wouldn't want you following me home, that just wouldn't do." Says the figure, grinning. "Don't even try to deny it, I know you were thinking it." 

She struggles, but the figure snaps their fingers, and a heavy blow lands on the back of her head, the world going black. 

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

The next morning dawned bright and loud, the chirps of the forest birds ringing in her ears. She stands, looking down to see the grass flattened around her. Smashed by many many feet, the footsteps fading into nothing later down the path. She frowns, Sorcery. I guess they weren't joking about the archers though. She turns, looking towards the base. Resolve taking hold. 

I'm sorry Asra. But it's for my best friend. 

My only friend. 

-----------------

I'm not saying that the cloaked person is _______, (Insert least favorite character here) I'm just saying we've never seen them and the cloaked man, *AHEM* woman, in the same room together before. 

Just something to think about   :)

Also, I'm thinking of a double update cause this one's so short. If ya want it, just be sure to

1. Scream
2. Jump up and down in excitement
3. Do a chicken dance, (Don't cheat me on this, I shall know if you do it or not. Don't ask how, but I shall.) I don't care of you do it for one second or a thousand years. 
4. Gimme a star so I know ya want it! (A comment never hurts either.)

That's all. Honestly. I reeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy like feedback. It would be great if I got some more of it though. 

Toodles, 

~Mg