Chapter 45

I look over at Len, my eyes wide. The soldier all but falls into the hall, and we rush to keep him from falling on his head. I look at Len, and nod. Get the troops.

It's time to fight.

Len runs back down the hall, Yelling at the top of his lungs. "Ready for battle! This is not a drill!" He disappears at the end, and I help the soldier stand, walking him down to find someone who can help the man.

People flood the halls at once, and the few medics that stayed behind before take the man away from me. I wander blindly, looking for Len, someone who can help me figure out what to do next. In the end, he finds me; running up fro the barracks and outfitted with a set of light armor.

"What do we do?" He asks, and I look to him in surprise.

"Why are you asking me?" I was about to suggest he go find Baldur, but then I remembered our recent conversation. Right.

"You and me are the only ones with the authority to command the troop without Baldur, Kendi, or Fira." Says Len quietly. " I don't have a clue, and you seemed to know what to do earlier."

Before I can say anything though, there's yelling behind us and people are pushed to the side as a flood of wounded soldiers are rushed through the halls, I watch each one with horror, these were people I was talking with only a few hours ago; then there's a familiar flash of bright red, and I run after the soldiers carrying her to the infirmary.

Inside, there are beds lined up on each wall, each one filling up faster than they can bandage the men and women already in the room. I follow the flash of red to a bed in the corner and Len runs after me, seeing her too. The soldiers carrying her set her in the bed, and back away, already running out of the room to help the others.

I look at Fira, her eyes are clenched shut in pain, and there's a gash on her forehead, while her ankle is twisted at an awkward angle and her skin is peppered with tiny cuts and slashes. I touch one gently, and she opens her eyes; widening at the sight of me.

"Asra! Th-they fell! I'm sorry, we couldn't get her... They knew we were coming; there's a snitch, we didn't have enough time." She closes her eyes in shame, a tear leaking out one, and I feel my stomach drop.

"You couldn't get her? There's a snitch?"

Fira shakes her head, her eyes full of shame. "No; she-" She stopped, then seemed to steel herself, "She'll be at the wedding."

My eyes widen, "What?!"

"She's going to be at the wedding." Says Fira, "I don't know what her role is, but I know she'll be there. Please- " Fira sat up, getting her face as close to mine as she could "It's the last chance we'll get! Save her!"

I nod, dread sitting in my gut and weighing me down. "I'll do my best, go to sleep Fira." She falls back on the bed, biting her lip when the movement jostled her foot, but still listens to me; Passing out almost immediately. I start towards the door, and Len follows behind me.

"I guess we know what we're doing next." He says; and I gulp.

"Do you think they would force her to be the bride?" I say quietly, hating myself for even thinking it.

Len stays quiet for a second, thinking. The only sounds are our feet on the ground and the yells and grunts of the soldiers around us. Finally, he speaks. "I don't know."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

A snitch.

"Someone is spilling secrets to the enemy." I whisper, my staff heavy in my hand. Len and I are crouched in the bushes outside the castle walls, trying to plan our attack. "They could already know we're coming."