Chapter 43

The night was a long one, and from the lack of the usual snores in Kendi's room, none of the other women were having an easy time either. 

After a few hours, I get up. I can't bear to go into the lamp and see him sitting there, unconscious, and know I'll never see my Father in the same body again. So instead, I wrap a blanket around my shoulders and head outside, wandering. 

I go first to the tunnel that led outside, stopping when I reached the door, then turning around as quickly as I came. I don't want to talk to him, despite my apparent subconscious desires for more information. 

Finally, I come to a stop at the arch of the training room, staring out at the empty expanse of dirt. Starlight and moonlight alike filter in through the trees, then the roots, of the land above, painting an mysterious picture of dark and light. 

There's a figure inside, slashing and bashing a poor training dummy, repeating the same moves over and over, until the dummy is covered in slashes and hay is falling out onto the floor. 

"Your opponent isn't going to stand still and just take a beating." I call out, watching smugly as Len stumbles, looking for the source of my voice. 

His eyes finally land on me, a smile breaking across his face. "Hey Asra. Long time no see, apparently in that time you've become a battle expert?" He raised and eyebrow, and I laughed. 

"Not even close, but I know it's better to fight someone who'll hit back rather then to slash this poor dummy to pieces." 

"His name's Fred." Len pouted, then grinned. "Why don't you show me what you learned then? I bet with all the special attention you've been getting this month, you might actually stand a chance against poor old me, the legend." He pretended to look up, striking a fierce pose. 

I laugh, "You look ridiculous, Mr. Legend. Bring it on." I leave the blanket by the entrance, my staff appearing in my hand from the inside of my lamp. Len raised his sword in response, and waited for me to get to the edge of the circle, standing on his own respective side. 

"I'll go easy on you." 

I grin, "Your mistake." 

We step into the circle, weapons raised. Len makes the first move, making a series of quick blows that I'm able to deflect easily enough. "You aren't even trying." I say, deflecting another weak blow that I could see coming from a mile away. Before he can aim another one, I grab the end of my staff; lifting it so the end points towards Len. He can't stop his forwards momentum towards me, and runs right into it, knocking the wind out of him and making him fall flat on his back. 

I walk over, leaning over him with a smirk. "You may not be trying, but I am." 

Len let out a puff of air, looking up at me, and taking my outstretched hand. "That's how you want to play huh?" He said, standing and pulling his sword from the dust. "Just don't get mad when I take you down." 

He launches himself at me, and I dart to the side, the staff dragging in the dirt where I had stood and tripping him as he ran forwards. "Don't count on it." I leap backwards as he takes another swipe at me with the long blade, using my staff to block the blow. A Piece of wood chips off, and I use the block to push him back; my arms shaking with the effort. 

Len comes again, this time with the three blades out, it hinders his agility I notice, all three blades catching the air at once and slowing him down. It might be more deadly, and scarier looking, but it slows him down more than a regular blade would. 

Not to mention the extra weight has to be more tiring. 

I grin, knocking him on the head a few times and dancing back from the range of his sword. Len became clumsier, and I became bolder, coming closer and knocking his feet out from under him. But in one swift movement, Len brought the blades up, slicing my staff arm and knocking me to the ground as well. He leapt up, all previous signs of fatigue gone, holding the points of the three blades to my throat.