Chapter 19

"Asra! Asra answer me!" I desperate voice infiltrates my peaceful sleep. I shiver, reaching for my blankets. The early morning wake up calls this job required are uncalled for. I finally open my eyes confusedly when I clutch grass instead of cotton. Last time I checked, the castle wasn't so cheap that our blankets were made out of grass. 

I look up into the relieved faces of at least four servants, two ladies in waiting with their noses stuck in the air disdainfully, and in the center of it all, Tran. His eyes are full of panic, and worry. Right. I'm not a servant anymore. I forgot. 

As if suddenly realizing we had an audience, and that I was awake, Tran's face breaks into a strained smile. In the span of a second, he leans down and pecks my cheek, and the onlookers 'awww'; seconds before his mother explodes through the crowd. 

She clears them from her path with a wave of a hand, sending the crowd that had gathered scurrying back to whereever they came from. Soon it's just me, her, and Tran in the field. He stands up, turning to meet her, and I follow, still reeling from my near death experience and what happened afterwards. 

The Queens eyes narrow on my face. "I see you're still here." She said, taking in my sodden clothing and appearance. "I saw the commotion and came to investigate. Seems you found my private lake. Serves you right to fall in for snooping like that." 

She turns to Tran next, frowning further. "What are you still doing here? I thought your father summoned you. You are dismissed. I shall guide the girl back to her rooms." She waved her hand behind her, walking purposefully towards me. Tran throws an apologetic look over his shoulder, before heading into the castle, albeit a bit reluctantly. 

I can't say that I was happy to be alone with his mother, new questions rose in my mind, and I looked towards the castle, intending to get rid of the Queen as soon as I can. I stand, swaying a bit, to meet her. "Come along then." She says, pursing her lips into a thin line and turning back towards the castle. 

I watch her stalking her way across the grounds, debating my chance of making it to my room alone. After letting out a sigh, I follow, swaying a bit from the movement so soon after I woke up. I stumble my way across the grounds after her, stopping in the doorway to watch her retreating back. "Thanks for the help." I mutter bitterly, expecting her to just keep on walking and forget about me entirely. 

Instead she stops at the end of the hall, sending me a glare of annoyance at the fact I was still at the other end of the hall. Surprised, I start down after her, and she waits until I get beside her before grabbing my hand and dragging after her brisk pace again.

"It seems I cannot trust you to keep up on your own." She mutters. Digging her long nails into my skin. I wince, trying to ignore how slippery my shoes are on the floor, or how heavy the dress is now that its been soaked. 

I follow along as fast as I can, hoping to get escorted to my room and that be the end of it. We head down several more halls, servants scurrying out of the path of the Queen. If they aren't fast enough, she merely knocks them aside. Barreling them over as if they aren't even there. 

I don't suspect anything more than her taking me to my rooms until she leads me past the turn to my hall, not even slowing down to ponder. "Uh," I look behind me, watching the turn steadily disappear from my sight. "That was the hall to my room, where are you taking me? Your Highness?" 

The Queen wrinkles her nose, looking down at me as if I am a annoying child who asks too many questions. "We aren't taking you to your rooms. After falling into the lake, do you honestly think I can trust you not to injure yourself further? No. Of course I can't. Stupid girl."

My mouth drops open at the last comment, something about the way she says it, with such disdain, not to mention right to my face, make me seriously reconsider not poisoning her right then and there. This woman obviously did not deserve to rule. Let alone sit upon a gilded throne and sneer at the people she was sword to protect and serve, making the right decisions for them, not the other way around.