Chapter 16

Tran suspects nothing of what happened in my room when he meets me at the door, nor when we walk down the hall. The only sounds are our feet tapping in and out of rhythm on the floor. The halls are devoid of any servant life, most likely everyone is helping out in the kitchens to prepare the food for the ball. Tran is silent for most of the way, his face creased in thought. 

"Wish for a thought?" I ask, mostly just to break the silence that hung over us like a shroud. 

"Whats that?" Tran turns to me, his brooding replaced by curiosity. 

"I made it up with my Mom, before I served the Crawdoves." I answer quietly, "It was kind of a thing we said when either of us wanted to talk. You tell me whats on your mind, and as a gift in return I give you a wish." 

"Sounds a bit sketchy. How do I know you will give me a wish at all? And how do I know you aren't tricking me?"

I glance at him, our eyes meeting quickly before we both look away. "Trust." I say simply. Our steps abruptly stop, and I look up to see the grand doors of the Ballroom in front of me. Like the doors to Tran's room, they are engraved with complex designs and scenes. Unlike his however, the carvings are beautiful in a more gruesome feature. These ones also seem not to have any sort of double carving on the other side. 

I shiver, thinking of Tran's door. I still don't know what to make of that. 

Both doors are a deep redwood, carved with scenes of battle. Men with swords bow before a King upon a large throne. Arising, they turn a march to the next door, crossing the invisible break and leaping to ensnare unsuspecting victims on the other side. The worst part is, most of the slain are laying with swords fallen from their hands, children hidden in the shadows. 

The Fae wars. 

I spake my head slightly as the doors begin to creak open, slicing the gruesome scene in half before splitting completely and opening to reveal the revelry inside. 

Golden light filters down from crystal chandeliers, shining on dancers below who slow as the sound of trumpets signal our arrival. Men and women alike, each and everyone is dressed in elegant gowns with jewels and elegantly styled hair. I can't help but feel out of place with my gown that now seems simple compared to theirs. Windows line the side of the ballroom, leading to the balcony outside, where the moon shines down on the Queens private gardens below. The doors are open, and they let a cool breeze into the already hot and stuffy room. 

Tran squeezes my hand reassuringly, or threateningly, I'm not sure which. If I am unable to keep up the charade here, I'm likely to end up in the dungeons. Mumbles and whispers alike dance around the room as the herald announces our arrival, and I nearly fall down the stairs when I am gently tugged forward by Tran. He waits, his hand tightening uncomfortably around my own as I compose myself. 

Together we trek down the stairs, all under the watchful eye of the people. At the bottom, they part to make a path to the thrones. In which, the King and Queen sit, watching me like hawks. The Queen especially seems quite devious, her gown is a bright gold, a show of wealth. Especially in the pompous outdated style she prefers it in. The king sits upon his throne, sipping from a goblet, and by the way his head is tipping to the side, I can already assume it is not his first drink. 

Together we ascend the steps to the small platform in front of them, and bow slightly. Tran steps to the side, releasing my hand and sitting upon a much less ornate throne beside his parents. A servant scrambles out with another chair, nothing more than a dining chair with a ribbon tied to the top.

My face flushes with embarrassment, since the ball was on such short notice, of course they didn't have a seat for me. I step forward all the same, giving the servant a grateful smile. At least I don't have to stand.