Fourteen

"My nightmares are usually about losing you. I'm okay once I realize you're here."

Suzanne Collins

When Bree woke up again, she shot up

When Bree woke up again, she shot up. Looking around, this was definitely not her cell, which meant that what had happened wasn't a dream.

Snapping around, Bree spotted Finnick sprawled out next to her. A protective arm around her as he held her into him. Even in sleep, he refused to let her go.

Trying not to wake him, Bree ever so gently placed her hand on his chest. Feeling as his heart beat rhythmically. Feeling the gentle rise and fall of his chest. Feeling that he was alive and here with her.

Finnike was alive. Her husband was alive. That was all Bree could think.

Bringing her hand up to her mouth, Bree tried to smother her sob as tears started to roll down her cheeks.

He really was alive, and he was here with her.

As if sensing her distress, Finnick stirred it in his sleep. His lashes flickered as he woke up.

Finnick seemed to go through the same thought process as Bree. His eyes were wild as they spun around, looking for her.

When he spotted her, Finnick pulled her into her. Squeezing onto her for dear life.

"You're alive," Bree murmured. Her hands fluttering up to his checks.

"I am." Finnick grinned as he finally pulled her into a searing kiss.

Bree let her other hand run up the back of his head. Grabbing a fistful of his hair, she pulled him in closer to her.

When the lovers ran out of air, they finally parted. Resting their heads against each other as their chest heaved.

"Did Mum and Dad make it out?" Bree asked, her voice quiet and fearing the worst.

"They did." Finick nodded. His hand running up and down her back. "They came and saw you while you were sleeping but didn't want to disturb you."

"Can I see them?" Bree asked quietly.

"Of course you can." Finnick smiled. "They will be so happy to see you. We are all so happy to see you."

Giving Finnick a watery smile, she finally got off his lap. Letting him stand up as he walked to the closet. He pulled out two pairs of identical jumpsuits and handed one pair to Bree.

"District 13 is not big on individualism." Finnick jocked. Helping Bree to pull off her hospital gown and pull on the jumpsuit.

When Bree finally had it on, he could see how loosely it fit her. He could see how much weight and muscle she had lost at the capital. Pulling Bree into him, Finnick could feel her bones jutting out of her skin. He could feel how malnourished she was. It made him want to rage and scream. It made him want to kill the people that had done this to his wife.

Smiling up at Finnick, Bree gently pulled out of Finnick's hold. Gently tugging on his arm, she implored Finink to hurry up and finally take her to her parents.

Smiling at her enthusiasm, Finnick ever so genty led her out of their room. Down the hall, five paces before stopping again. Surprised, Bree turned to look at him.

"They are our neighbours." Finnick smield at her. "District 13 wasn't going to split us up."

Grinning up at him, Bree raised a hand to knock on the door. But her hand shook the whole way. Foulteirng just before her knuckles could make contact with the cold steel of the door.

With a forlorn smile. Finnick grabbed Bree's raised hand. Pulling it to his mouth, he dropped a kiss on her knuckles before letting go of her hand. Raising his own to knock on her parent's door instead.

The moment his knuckles had made contact with the door, it flew open. Valerie and Leo stumbled out. Spotting their daughter. They froze

Valerie gasped at how dull her daughter's eyes looked and how gaunt she was. Valerie then lept forward, pulling her daughter in for a hug. If she spotted how her daughter flinched at the sudden movement, freezing up before she finally relaxing into the hug, Valerie didn't say anything.

Leo seemed frozen, staring at what was left of his daughter till he, too, seemed to come unstuck. Pulling his wife and doubting into a hug as the three of them sobbed. They fell to the floor in a huddle as they held each other.

Looking up, Valerie spotted Finnick as he stared down lovingly and wistfully at their family unit. Seeing the longing look on Finnick's face, she held out a hand for him. When Finnick took it, she pulled him down and into their huddle.

Immediately, Leo opened his arms for his son-in-law, and Finnick found himself smooshed up with Bree in the middle of their family unit.

The four of them stayed like that for a long while. Just holding each other. But eventually, they did have to stand up. Letting go of each other. Or at least partially letting go. Bree refused to let Finnick drop her hand.

Valerie and Leo led the young couple into their own room. Fussing over their daughter as they got her situated and comfortable.

Valerie continued to fuss around her daughter. Draping an extra blanket over her shoulders.

When Valerie passed Leo again, he gently tugged on her arm. Pulling her down to join him.

The two parents gazed lovingly at their daughter.

"What's district 13 like?" Bree questioned, trying to direct focus from herself. She didn't want to have to talk about the capital.

"It's very different from home." Leo laughed.

"It's so militant here," Valerie explained. "Every morning, they print our schedules on our arm."

Valerie stuck her arm out and showed her the temporary tattoo on her arm. Explaining what all the different symbols meant.

As the two women chatted, Leo shared a look with Finnick.

"Have you taken her back to the medical wing?" Leo asked quietly.

"No," Finnick whispered. "She just woke up, and I wanted her to see you two first before I took her back."

Leo nodded. "Give Valerie another 10 minutes with her."

"Of course." Finnick nodded as they turned back to their respective other halves. Blending seamlessly back into the conversation.

When the 10 minutes was up. Leo ever so gently pulled Valerie away from Bree.

"How about we take you to the medical wing," Finnick suggested to Bree. "Let them check you over?"

Bree needed slowly. "So long as you can come with me."

"Of course I will," Finnick assured her. "You don't think you will be rid of me." He teased.

Once again, Finnick gently leading her through the maze that was District 13 to where she needed to be.